lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
Whtteg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Voltage reducer issues

Is this the blue voltage reducer that others have recommended?

I hooked this up and my headlights seemed dim, my turn signals stopped working and the horn sounds really weird. So I disconnected the lights and measured the voltage coming out of the reducer and it is passing the full voltage through 😡
Now my turn signals do not work, headlights are noticeably dimmer and the horn sound crazy, I tried hooking the lights up to a single 12 volt battery but no change.

So with all this being said, l am sending the reducer back and asking for a replacement light kit as it is 2 weeks old. Anyone have a suggestion for a reliable and quality reducer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D1A8EE0E-7411-48F9-8608-69AF372A9864.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
Whtteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2022, 06:03 AM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage reducer issues

Those seem to be pretty reliable and popular voltage reducers. I had a small square one from China that was cheap and pure junk, only lasted about a month. I have to ask, did you have it properly wired according to the directions?
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
Whtteg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
Those seem to be pretty reliable and popular voltage reducers. I had a small square one from China that was cheap and pure junk, only lasted about a month. I have to ask, did you have it properly wired according to the directions?

If I was reading about this I would assume that it was not wired correctly, but I can assure you it was wired correctly. Once I started troubleshooting the reducer I also noticed that I only have 4 wires instead of 5, but I wired it according to the directions…. Yellow wire to positive on battery pack, black to negative of battery pack, red to the 12 volt accessories and green to switched 48 volt ( I used the switched side of the solenoid). My unit did not have a blue wire that would be used as a memory saver for a radio etc. So it was either defective or the wrong one when it left the manufacturer, so quality control seems to be a concern for sure.
In hindsight I wish I would have measured the voltage output prior to wiring my lights to it, could have saved a good bit of trouble.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:59 PM   #4
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

The fact that the blue wire is missing makes me wonder if anything in this unit was wired correctly. I’m sure they have a disclaimer in their warranty about it causing damage to anything that’s hooked up to it. That sucks! I would contact the place you bought it from and see if you could at least get a replacement voltage reducer. I think you’re out of luck with any damage that’s been done but I would at least ask if they’ll do anything about it. Good luck.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #5
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thinking out loud but if you connected assecories directly to a 12 volt battery ( assuming that battery is fully charged supplying 12+ volts ) and horn,lights still do not work.
Problem is with wiring going from 12 volt source be it battery or reducer , since you removed reducer from equation of being problem when connecting assecories to 12 volt battery.

Bad or dirty connection at fuse panel ? Be it ground circuit or 12 positive wire.
Problem is not reducer but fuse block/ wiring down stream of reducer.
Check for 12 volts at horn , lights , fuse panel, to find problem.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:11 PM   #6
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I thought the yellow was 12vDC out from the reducer. Some reducers only have 4 wires. The blue wire is usually a 12v constant for radio memory.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Something is certainly wrong here. Even the picture you included shows 5 wires. Either yours was built wrong somehow, or they sent you something other than what you ordered.
Different manufacturers will assign the wire colors differently, so wiring according to the directions may not have actually been the correct wiring for the unit you got, if it's some "substitute". While the LED lights are pretty forgiving about voltage, if the flasher & horn got 48 volts it would almost certainly do damage.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Whtteg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra,1 View Post
Thinking out loud but if you connected assecories directly to a 12 volt battery ( assuming that battery is fully charged supplying 12+ volts ) and horn,lights still do not work.
Problem is with wiring going from 12 volt source be it battery or reducer , since you removed reducer from equation of being problem when connecting assecories to 12 volt battery.

Bad or dirty connection at fuse panel ? Be it ground circuit or 12 positive wire.
Problem is not reducer but fuse block/ wiring down stream of reducer.
Check for 12 volts at horn , lights , fuse panel, to find problem.😊
The lights worked correctly before connecting the reducer, they were connected to one 12 volt battery. I decided to go with a reducer so that I am not draining one battery more than the rest of the pack. I measured the voltage coming out of the reducer and it was 50.4 volt which is the same the pack measured at that time. I have replacements coming for both the light kit and the reducer, I will be measuring the voltage coming out of the reducer before I hook any accessories to it this time!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO