lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2022, 06:12 PM   #1
vince362291
Getting Wild

Default questions on an 08 club car

Hi every one and thanks in advance im looking at buying an 08 club car 48v electric batterys are about 4 years old has a back seat. it has some problems and i know little about electric carts some back round info on it it quit working so the replaced the selonoid still didn't work they replaced the stock motor with a nidec D00-4008A (which they said is a 400 amp motor) which inturn burnt up the stock controller which was a curtis 1510A-5251 (250amp) what controller would i need to put on it to handel the larger motor and is there anything else i should be looking at to replace also they said the run /tow switch does not work so they bypassed it what would be a good price to offer them for it the tires are almost bald but do hold air
vince362291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
RickO
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: questions on an 08 club car

Hopefully the experts will be along with comments soon, but there's a lot in there that sounds pretty scary to me.

I have a 2007 48v Club Car Precedent which I've just finished completely updating with a Navitas 440 amp controller, FSIS High Speed motor, 200 amp solenoid and 4 ga cables. I also installed a 3.5" list kit and 21.5" tires/wheels. I'm really happy with the set up.

On the cart you're describing, I'm not sure I understand how a "400 amp motor" could burn up a 250 amp controller... but I do understand how bypassing the run/tow switch could burn up the motor.

Good luck.
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Price really depends on your location. Everywhere is different. Around here even a non-working cart like that would probably fetch $2500-3k.

If the motor and solenoid are now and have been replaced (which should be pretty obvious with a quick look under the cart) the controller may be bad (or may have been the problem all along and misdiagnosed several times) but you can figure $500-600 for an alltrax or navitas controller. There may be other things wrong with the cart you won’t know until you start to diagnose the issues… one of the risks you run when buying a non-running cart.

2008 is a good year as it’s already got the desirable IQ drive system. Absolute worst case scenario you could do a new motor/controller/solenoid package (or an AC upgrade). Figure around $2k for an AC upgrade all in.

Batteries will need to be replaced now or very soon. Figure another $700-800 into batteries.

Price accordingly. If you’ve got time, willing to learn fixing it, and it’s a good deal then it would be a good cart depending on their asking price. If you’re not so mechanically inclined, then it may be in your best interest to spend a couple thousand more on a cart that already works. But nobody here knows you or your mechanical aptitude to really be able to say “get it for $xxxx or not.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:42 PM   #4
reagan62
Not Yet Wild

Ricko I have the same year make and model. I'm in the middle of upgrading it right now. You'd be doing me a huge favor if I could reach out to you and ask a question or two. I'm having trouble with a newly installed amp shutting down during acceleration. I'm deep deep into trouble shooting but i suspect i might need a larger capacity controller despite using a 48v to 12v converter...... help!!!! LoL email is reagan@keystonechemical.net 769-475-0980 if it would be possible. You could save me from spontaneously combusting lol. Thanks in advance.
reagan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car