lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2022, 08:11 AM   #1
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Powerdrive charger clicks but needle doesn't move

I have a 1997 Club Car with (6) 8 volt batteries that stopped working. I realized I had a dead battery. I bought one used battery to replace the dead battery.
I have individually charged all of the batteries with an 8 volt charger and now the cart drives again. The issue I have is the Powerdrive charger still just clicks and the needed doesn't move. Could trying to charge a pack with a dead battery cause my Powerdrive charger to no longer work? Looking for some advice as to what to check to restore operation to my charger.

Also, separate question. Any thoughts on this charger to keep my batteries maintained? I know the Powerdrive doesn't kick back on to maintain the batteries during periods of inactivity, this cart sits for weeks or more at a time sometimes, I am trying to do something to keep the batteries topped off. Thanks...

https://www.plpbattery.com/products/..._ss=r#features
mikec35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive charger clicks but needle doesn't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35 View Post
I know the Powerdrive doesn't kick back on to maintain the batteries during periods of inactivity
I thought the OBC turned the stock CC Charger on every two weeks or so??
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If left plugged in the OBC should turn the charger back on every 15 days to top up the pack.
Should being the key word. Dont forget it’s a 25 year old cart and the OBC may not work exactly as it was supposed to.

When a Powerdrive charger clicks, but doesn’t come on, you need to first verify that the outlet it’s plugged into has power. Plug something else into the outlet and make sure it works.

Next is to open up the charger and check that 120v os getting to the circuit breaker on the charger front panel. Check that power is getting through the breaker to the relay.
Then plug the charger into the cart and listen for the relay to click and make sure 120v isngettting through the relay to the transformer.
Usually a click but no buzz will be a failed breaker or relay, assuming that the wall outlet works.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I can hear the charger click and the transformer hums but the needle doesn’t move.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ok. Check the fuse in the back of the cart receptacle.
Also check the fuse on the front panel of the charger.
If those check out OK, then next Run a 10awg jumper wire from the charge receptacle negative to the main pack negative post, then plug in the charger and see if the needle then comes up. If no then we can focus on the charger.
If yes, then the OBC may have failed.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #6
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the tips! I’ll check the fuses and report back.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #7
mikec35
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I checked the fuse in the charger, the one in the cart in the yellow fuse holder and at the charge receptacle in the cart. All are good. I checked the heat sink and relay in the charger. I checked the red wire from the charge receptacle to the battery, it's got a good connection. I checked the gray wire to the receptacle, it seems to be connected well. I am not sure what else to check here? Prior to the one battery going bad the a couple of weeks ago the charger worked fine. It now clicks about 5 seconds after I plug it in, the transformer hums but the needle doesn't move. I checked the battery packs while the charger is plugged in and I get 49.5 volts. Anything else to check? Thank you
Old 07-18-2022, 04:19 PM   #8
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it's a Powerdrive 2, change the diode rectifier. If it's a Powerdrive 3, check the diodes.
sthreatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:29 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Ok. Check the fuse in the back of the cart receptacle.
Also check the fuse on the front panel of the charger.
If those check out OK, then next Run a 10awg jumper wire from the charge receptacle negative to the main pack negative post, then plug in the charger and see if the needle then comes up. If no then we can focus on the charger.
If yes, then the OBC may have failed.
Check that
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car