lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #1
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Is this noise normal

I have a 1984 CC DS, stock.

Now that I have my cart running, i'm wondering if this noise is considered normal. If it is no worries and i'll move on, if it's not, then I would like to figure out what the cause is.

If you watch this video here, you can hear the sound of the motor with the throttle down. It is a constant whirring noise.

When the pedal is released and the cart is coast it has an intermittent rubbing sound.

If this isn't normal any thoughts on what this could be and what to look into?
broschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Is this noise normal

I'm nowhere near as qualified as many others on here, but that doesn't sound normal to me at all. Can't really tell if it is the motor or the rear diff. I'd be checking the fluid in the rear diff and maybe use a screwdriver as stethoscope against the case of the motor. Obviously raise the cart up on something that will safely hold it while you listen.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Nope, not normal...something needs attention in the rear end.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:44 PM   #4
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Looking at the differential I decided to flush and replace the oil. The outside was covered in old caked on oil, so I figured if anything it could use a flush. When flushing I saw metal in the oil, and decided that I needed to tear it open and check it out.

That is where I am at, this is my first time working on something like this, any help is appreciated. I attached some images below, you can see metal flakes on the gears, so something is wearing. The lower bearing was all apart, i'm not sure if that happened when I opened it or if it was that way.

What would next steps be and what parts do I need to rebuild this?

PXL_20220719_042114903.MP.jpg
PXL_20220719_042125619.MP.jpg
PXL_20220719_042138289.MP.jpg
Old 07-19-2022, 01:06 AM   #5
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Is this noise normal(Update Differential Rebuild)

In looking at this and checking it some more. All of the bearings feel good other than the two bearings on part 51 from this diagram.

It looks like the bearings are attached and not removable from that piece. One is completely off, the other has a lot of play in it.

Does anyone know where I can get that part, or how to repair it?
Old 07-20-2022, 08:57 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Ball Bearings are not supposed to come apart. That bearing is trashed and probably the pinion gear (the small gear next to the bearing) as well.

Bearings are press fit and will require a press and some adapters to remove and install new ones. But bearings are easy, the bigger problem is damage to the gear teeth which will require replacing gears. It's not easy to find parts for those old axles anymore so you may be looking for a whole axle assembly.
I can't tell from looking at the guts of it, is that the old Kawasaki axle?
How many splines are on the input shaft?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:44 PM   #7
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for taking a look. I was able to get a bearing puller and pull the bearings, you can from this image how worn the bearing was.
PXL_20220721_031039421.MP.jpg

I have new bearings on the way, the one that was opposite the destroyed one had play in it so i'm replacing that as well.

I think the gears look pretty good from my inspection, nothing looks broken off or worn in an odd way, here are some pictures of the gears.

PXL_20220721_030923413.MP.jpg
PXL_20220721_030941888.MP.jpg

The housing below were that bearing was does look a little beat up, but it looks like the bearing should slide in and sill has a ridge to seat on.
PXL_20220721_031122272.MP.jpg

I'm feeling like I should be able to rebuild this.

I have another question about where the motor attaches that I'll ask some question in the next post.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #8
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

As I was cleaning everything the gears slid out where the motor connects. This isn't a problem but I want to make sure I didn't lose any parts.

I highlighted the parts in question. There is rubber seal. It has a spring clip on one side of it, it doesn't look like that does much, possibly add some tension.

Looking at the part diagram I see two parts 18 and 30. The rubber gasket looks like part 18. If the spring clip is not part 30, then I'm not sure what that part should be.

PXL_20220721_031115578.MP_2.jpg

PXL_20220721_034624440.MP_2.jpg
Old 07-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

30 is a shim that sets clearance between the bearing and the case. It keeps the input shaft from walking back and forth in the case which would wear the case out. The shim may not be there if the case tolerance is close enough.

The small spring is just a tension spring that should have been inside the seal. Replace the seal when you put it all back together.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, do you know what size that shim is so I could look for one in case it is needed, or do you know where I can order an OEM shim?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car