lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Timscarts
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 1995 DS dies after short drive

I’m working on a 1995 48 volt DS (A9536) that cuts out after about 100 feet, let it sit a few minutes and it goes a few feet, let it sit an hour and it goes another 100 feet. Charged batteries, same thing. Swapped out the motor thinking the motor was shorting out and overheating controller but that didn’t change. Battery pack reads 50.4, solenoid will click even after it stops. It had the black box potentiometer on the frame under the floor, I did a mcor4 conversion and that made no change. Any ideas? I’ve got myself doing what I hate to do, replacing what’s not needed.
Timscarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2022, 07:51 AM   #2
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1995 DS dies after short drive

It could be the Solenoid dropping out just because it clicks doesn't mean it is pulling in the big lugs on the solenoid passing voltage to the controller. When it does this put a jumper across the big lugs on the solenoid and see if the cart goes if it does the solenoid is bad. If not sounds like your controller might be the problem. If you find out that is the problem I do have a controller if you need one.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:02 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

How old are the batteries? What’s the battery voltage while it is moving/driving? Resting voltage and loaded voltage are completely different things. A bad battery can read good while at rest but drop to nothing when you load it.

If the pack voltage is 50.4 and that’s fully charged it would also indicate a battery issue.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 11:32 AM   #4
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

CP241
you are correct I had that same issue on my current project. I had 50.7 volts and went to move it and the cart would shutter and move 10 feet and then not go. I found when I load tested the batteries I had one battery go to zero volts under load. replaced that battery and the cart was fine.
Good call on that!
Old 08-02-2022, 01:50 PM   #5
Timscarts
Getting Wild

Club Car

I jumped the solenoid, no difference still cuts out. Checked batteries under load, drops to about 47 volts at take off and slowly comes up to 48-49 when at full speed then cuts out. Load tested all the batteries and they seem fine. I’m thinking the controller is on its way out. Batteries are 4 years old.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Timscarts
Getting Wild

Club Car

It’s fixed and I’m embarrassed I didn’t follow the wiring more closely, the connection from the black box potentiometer on the frame to the wiring harness was corroded. It’s under the forward/ reverse switch, cut the connector out and connected the wires together with heat shrink weather proof connecters and it’s good as new. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FF033A29-32CE-4D2A-81C7-68C10196D5EF.jpg (74.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 6739AE06-7DFC-4440-A5C5-53E227CA29F2.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Good find. Glad you got it sorted
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:35 AM   #8
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

persistence paid off good job finding that!
Old 08-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
billyvray
Not Yet Wild

I've got a similar-seeming problem with my 97. Potentiometer resistance gave odd readings when I tested at the wiring to the controller. I removed the Pot and resistance is perfect tested on the lugs.

<heavy sigh> I guess I need to start pulling the wiring back. Thanks for posting your solution.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timscarts View Post
It’s fixed and I’m embarrassed I didn’t follow the wiring more closely, the connection from the black box potentiometer on the frame to the wiring harness was corroded. It’s under the forward/ reverse switch, cut the connector out and connected the wires together with heat shrink weather proof connecters and it’s good as new. Thanks for the help.
billyvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car