lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2022, 12:44 PM   #1
Kemeier11
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Dying 1 minute after Charge

I have a 2006 Electric Club Car Villager (6 seater). We just bought this and have had nothing but problems. First the cart would not go forward so we replaced the forward/reverse switch which fixed that problem. We then placed the cart on the charger for 10 hours. Started to drive it, had plenty of power (like a full charge) at first and then 10 seconds later could feel the cart loosing its power. Within a minute or less the cart was completely dead and we had to push it back. When placed on the charger it first showed around 12-15 amps and slowly decreased (assuming it took the charge). Batteries are only 2-3 years old. We are new to golf carts and I have no idea what to check or how to do it. Please dumb it down for me.
Kemeier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cart Dying 1 minute after Charge

Sounds like bad batteries if it goes some after charging.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yeah, unfortunately the batteries taking a charge doesn't guarantee they will retain that charge. Poorly cared for batteries can easily be damaged in just a couple years.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #4
Kemeier11
Not Yet Wild

So it sounds like my first step is to test the batteries….
Old 08-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You need to "Load Test" the batteries. This looks at each battery under driving load to see if it's dropping it's voltage more than it should. Also, check all connections to make sure that they are clean and tight.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You need a voltmeter and some long alligator clip leads so you can check the pack voltage while the cart is driving.
A battery with a bad cell might allow the cart to move, but it will fall flat on it's face very quickly.
As mentioned before, batteries that were not well maintained Or not maintained at all, can be dead in just a few years. Actually only takes a few months for there to be permanent damage, but the majority of people won't notice anything until they are almost totally dead.

So first things first, what brand and type of batteries are in it?
What charger do you have? Brand and type/model number?
What is the water level in each cell? It should be 1/4 to 1/2" above the tops of the plates.
What is the Exact voltage of each battery individually, and what is the voltage of the whole pack?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #7
Kemeier11
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delay. My son ended up in the hospital so golf cart became last priority. I was finally able to get to the cart this evening. Super weird, the cart ran for longer than 30 seconds. I haven’t charged it in two months and it didn’t die almost instantly. Cart ran for approx 10 min but felt jumpy. Then it died without much warning. I used a voltmeter and each battery showed 8 surface charge. I tested the first and sixth batttery together and only got a surface charge of 33. Does this mean it’s a connection issue between batteries? I could not test load until I attempt to charge cart again tonight, will test tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
Kemeier11
Not Yet Wild

Sorry for the delay. My son ended up in the hospital so golf cart became last priority. I was finally able to get to the cart this evening. Super weird, the cart ran great. I haven’t charged it in two months and it didn’t die almost instantly. Cart ran for approx 10 min but felt jumpy. Then it died without much warning. I used a voltmeter and each battery showed 8 surface charge. I tested the first and sixth batttery together and only got a surface charge of 33. Does this mean it’s a connection issue between batteries? I could not test load until I attempt to charge cart again tonight, will test tomorrow.
Old 10-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Charge the cart let it sit for 12 hours then take total pack voltage (Main Positive and main negative) Make sure you have the correct wires. the mains go to the back of the cart.
Check pack voltage after it sits. You should have around 51 volts full charge.
take your volt meter and hook it on main positive and main negative and drive it and tell us what the voltage reads if it stays above 48 volts while driving the batteries are probably ok but if you see it dropping 48, 47 ,46 and lower the batteries or one of the batteries is not good.
I had the same issue on a cart I bought and was fixing up. I had one dead cell in one of the batteries and it did the same thing. I isolated the problem and swapped out the bad battery and it took care of the problem.
I have a battery load tester from Harbor freight that works well. It is for 6v and 12v batteries but I use it on my 8v batteries as well same concept if I hit the load button and it shows a good number I leave it if the meter tanks I know that is the bad battery.
even though it is for 6v and 12v if you understand what is going on it still works.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #10
Kemeier11
Not Yet Wild

After full charge the total surface charge was 51. Load test stayed above 48. I don’t believe it’s a battery issue at this point. So where do I go from here?

Tags
dying quickly
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car