lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2022, 08:24 AM   #1
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

Default 2001 EZGO Slow Moving

I have a 2001 EZGO with new Trojan batteries and a new speed sensor. The cart is still slow, and I had to toggle the fwd/rev switch back and forth many times before I could get it to move at the snails pace it is currently operating at. I can hear the solenoid clicking when I step on the accelerator. Would that be a indication that the solenoid is not welded? Thanks in advance.
squarebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 EZGO Slow Moving

The stock control will go into safe mode aka snail mode if it senses the solenoid is welded closed. test the solenoid for continuity between the big posts before and after it clicks to verify it is operating properly. Test without a pre-charge resistor in place.

There are rare cases where a solenoid clicked but remained welded. If the solenoid checks out the problem is in the speed sensor or the sensor connection to the control.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I’ll check for continuity. I’m guessing I should not have continuity until I press the accelerator pedal and hear the click? Or do I have that backwards. Either way, I’ll see what I have and post back. I’ve already replaced the speed sensor, so maybe the controller and speed sensor connection may be oxidized? Could it be the controller? Or is it either good or bad and if bad won’t power the cart at all? Thanks in advanced.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's pretty rare to see the controller lose the speed sensor function. It is more likely a solenoid problem. Should be open before the pedal is depressed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:25 AM   #5
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

Alright, so I tested for continuity across the large posts on the solenoid. To my surprise, I have continuity with the pedal not depressed and an open loop when pedal is depressed. I hear the solenoid click which in my minds eye closes the circuit but the meter says otherwise. One thing I didn’t do was pull the resistor. The cart is my dads. I’ll have to go back and see if I can find that resistor, pull it and try again. Is the resistor in a standard location? Is it accurate to say that it is one of three things that could be wrong, Controller, Speed sensor, or Solenoid?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

I looked at the cart again today and attempted to place the cart in diagnostic mode without success. Never heard any beeps with key off, run/tow switch set to run and toggling the fwd/rev switch 5 times neutral to reverse. I took it for a ride and as anticipated it ran slow. I decided to run it down the road in reverse and it ran at normal speed. Stopped and put it in fwd and it ran slow. Toggled the Fwd/Rev switch several times and finally the cart started operating at normal speed going forward. After riding around a bit without issue, I made several stop and go’s and the cart speed was normal and then is wasn’t, back to snail speed. Seems as though if toggle the fwd/rev switch I can eventually get the normal speed back. Is it possible the contacts on the fwd/rev switch are worn or pitted and that’s my issue? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:50 PM   #7
DanGoneWild
Not Yet Wild

You could try swapping the F1 and F2 cables at the controller. Basically switching forward for reverse and vice versa. If it works better, switch the F/R wires at the switch so they correspond. I'm no expert, so maybe someone here could confirm this is correct... but that's what I would try.
DanGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:10 PM   #8
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

Took another swing at the cart yesterday. Tested continuity across the solenoid successfully. Found the beeper, it was unplugged. reconnected the beeper. Placed cart in diagnostic mode and got two beeps followed by a single beep. According to my interpretation of the chart, I have a battery low voltage problem. Put a meter across the battery pack and measured 37.8 volts. Isolated each battery and measured 6.31 bolts on each battery. Check all cables and found the positive cable leading to a bus bar, that eventually connected to the solenoid to have a frayed end. I built a new one with heavier gauge wire that I had laying around, 4 gauge. Turned the key, put it in reverse, nothing, no solenoid click, nothing. Moved from reverse to neutral back to reverse, pressed the gas, heard the solenoid click and backed out of the garage. Put in forward, moved as though it was in safe mode. Moved switch again from forward to neutral back to fwd and it ran as expected. Rolled around the neighborhood without any issues. Found that if I stopped, press and locked the brake, the cart would go into safe mode. If I stopped and didn’t press the brake locking mechanism and immediately press the accelerator, it would run normal speed. If I stopped, didn’t press the accelerator for a few minutes, it would either go into safe mode or I’d get nothing, no movement, no solenoid click. If I stopped, didn't engage brake lock but move the direction to reverse or neutral, safe mode. Took meter readings at the motor and still had 38.7 volts. The only thing that seems to get the cart going again is to either move the direction switch to neutral and then back to whatever direction, forward or reverse, or I did have success a time or two moving to tow/run switch. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #9
squarebody
Not Yet Wild

@scottyb, can you help me figure this thing out?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO