lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Charger Recommendation

I am finishing up my solid-state conversion from Scotty B and am looking for recommendations/comments on chargers. This is a 1998 DS that was a basket case but now has everything new. It even has a brand new frame under it that I scored locally for $50. The only old parts are the body (new paint) and rear end. Literally everything else is new. I do not have a charger for it, don't even currently have a charger receptacle. It has new US Batteries 170 A/H (6-8v)

Curious as to what you guys recommend for a charger. I think Scotty B recommends the Lester Summitt 2. I have spent a ton of money on this cart so far and would not be opposed to saving a dollar if I can. I sometimes see Eric chargers and others second hand where guys switch power sources. Not sure which various chargers would work on my configuration directly charging the batteries without any type of OBC system. Looking for guidance on what chargers would work and any comments are always appreciated.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charger Recommendation

I currently have a Lester Summit II and am very happy with it. You can program the algorithm for your batteries so they charge properly. I previously had a DPI and while that was a good unit it didn't work well with my Crown Batteries. I would research the used market before you buy a new one. Like you said a lot of people are changing over to lithium.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I wouldn't spend any money on an ERIC charger, even if you could get it cheap.
I've been very pleased with the Summit 2 chargers that I have. Personal opinion, they're very well worth the $400 or so to buy one.

For most of my fleet carts I still prefer to run the old school Powerdrive chargers with OBCs just because they take a beating and still keep kicking, but the price for that combination is more than what it's worth to buy them unless you can find a deal on a used charger and OBC that still works. Most of the time people are giving up on the PD chargers because the OBC failed and it's cheaper/easier for them to just bypass the OBC and plug in a new charger.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Appreciate the info. Fairtax4me, just curious about avoiding the Eric chargers. I value your opinion but interested in more info, I know I see tons of Eric chargers out there and seems they can also be programed to your specific battery brand. I know the rental guy I frequent has them on all his carts. They seem pretty robust. I am leaning towards towards the Summitt 2, searching around for best price.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:44 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

IF you search around here there are plenty of threads of the ERIC chargers failing.
Yes, they are programmable, no it is not quick or easy, and some need firmware updates in order to be programmed.
Club Car supplies these with the all of the new carts and have since 2014, so it's no surprise to see them Everywhere that has modern carts. Their track record really isn't THAT terrible, considering how many are out there, but failures occur often enough that IMO they're just not worth it. There is nothing that can be replaced if they fail, so even If you spend $100 on one, have it fail in a few months or a year, you've got yourself a boat anchor.

A brand new Summit II comes with a 4 year warranty. So if you have a failure in that time-frame you at least have some recourse to get it replaced.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks so much for the info. I appreciate you, and others, who take your valuable time to help out folks like me. Every time I research something here or ask a question, I am amazed at the level of knowledge here. This site is truly amazing
Old 08-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #7
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

A Lester Summitt II overcharged my previous set of Crown agms.
DV/DT never kicked in and would cycle endlessly at a phase 2 level at
67-68 volts!! The charger was set to the correct Crown agm profile...

My current set of Crown agms are now being charged by an Eagle Pro 4818.
My Crowns are now going on three years with over 7000 miles driven...

For me that is how it should be....Lester support was none existent.

https://www.dualpro.com/golf-segment

It has been said Lesters are repairable...I doubt it as they are sealed
Where as the Eagle Pro is field serviceable and made in the USA!!

Happy Cartin'
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you for that info, I will check these out. Not familiar with them but that don't mean a thing. My experience is somewhat limited. Have not seen them listed at usual sites when I was looking for chargers.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:42 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

There are plenty of other chargers out there. Eagle seems to be a good company, and has a decent reputation for making good products. The price is a little higher than some others, but they have been in the business for quite some time. Their products were originally geared more for the industrial sector, and they also are a smaller company that is not as well connected with the retailers for Golf cart accessories and parts, so it's unlikely you will find them listed on any golf cart specific site.

NOCO Makes a few golf cart chargers as well, that again are geared more towards the industrial sector, but they are starting to get some market placement in the Golf Cart world. The 48v charger they have is able to charge lithium, lead acid, AGM, and Gel batteries. Last I saw it was upwards of $500 and likely has gone higher.

DPI has been in the top of Golf cart chargers market for many years and they do make a good product, and they tend to stand behind it. Their chargers are a mix of old school transformer technology with newer smart bits to control the charge profile for various different brands of batteries. Somewhat programmable, but everything in them is user serviceable. I believe their warranty is 3 years, but all of that info is on their website.

Then there are some cheapos out there floating around the jungle store and that ocean place, which are "smart" chargers. Not programmable, they kinda figure out the charge profile on their own for the most part. There are at least a half dozen that I've seen that appear to be the exact same charger but with some different half spelled name on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car