lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2022, 04:33 PM   #1
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Default I insatalled the diode backwards now what.

So evidently I am not to bright. I installed a new solenoid on my 04 Club Car ds 48v. I thought " that's cool the resistor and diode are already installed" when I opened the new box. I installed the new solenoid on the cart turned the key hit the pedal and I was anticipating a click from the solenoid and instead heard a pop instead of a click. Well the diode appears to be backward. I checked the continuity and the diode still works but the solenoid does not activate when the pedal is pushed. Did it fry the controller?
Billetbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: I insatalled the diode backwards now what.

I think the controller might be fine. Read post 7 and 13 in this thread:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...iode+backwards

You most likely popped a fuse. The fuse may be in a small plastic box in the wiring near the controller.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #3
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
I think the controller might be fine. Read post 7 and 13 in this thread:

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...iode+backwards

You most likely popped a fuse. The fuse may be in a small plastic box in the wiring near the controller.
Thanks for your help.
Evidently the old ds carts don't have a fuse. What would be the next thing to check? I definitely heard a pop I'm pretty sure from the solenoid/controller area.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billetbowtie View Post
Thanks for your help.
Evidently the old ds carts don't have a fuse. What would be the next thing to check? I definitely heard a pop I'm pretty sure from the solenoid/controller area.
You may have heard the controller pop in which case it is dead. You will need a voltmeter to go any further. Check the solenoid activation circuit.

Check that the control has power and throttle signal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I believe on a DS the solenoid is activated by the microswitch in the MCOR. You may have blew the microswitch. Check to see if you have 48v going into and out of the MCOR.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #6
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I believe on a DS the solenoid is activated by the microswitch in the MCOR. You may have blew the microswitch. Check to see if you have 48v going into and out of the MCOR.
I had my fingers crossed this was the issue. I had a mcor I just took off that worked but nit great. Put it back on and nothing.

How do I diagnose the activation circuit? The obc is bypassed so that's one thing out of the equation. Is there a sticky on what to check for? All terminals on the solenoid big and small have pack voltage but something is not activating the circuit.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

So the activation circuit is complete when there is 48v + and - at the 2 small solenoid posts. when that happens you can measure 48v between the 2 small posts and the solenoid should click closed at that time. If no 48v between these 2 posts then the problem is cart side, like key switch power, Mcor switch, fuse or such.
Let us know what you find there.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:59 PM   #8
Billetbowtie
Not Yet Wild

Update: So in my case installing the diode backwards did damage the controller. Sent it in to get fixed and it worked like a champ when I got it back.

I figured what the heck why not have the controller upgraded while it was being fixed. It only cost like $30 to upgrade it to 400a. I could definitely feel the torque difference. Decided to take it for a long cruise maybe 8 miles or so majority of the time 3/4 throttle and then snap! Bang! Boom! My plum quick motor blew up which probably means the controller was taken out in the process. Yay!!
Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #9
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

well if you do indeed need a new motor and if you did fry your controller this would be a good time to install a Navitas AC conversion from Revolution Golf Cars. I have one on each of my carts and love them. Easy install.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car