lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #1
Brewcraft951
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with suspension for sand

I have a 2021 Navitas (basically a TXT), with a 6" lift. I mostly use the cart on an island with soft sand paths. With multiple other carts using the same paths, they quickly become a washboard surface. The suspension does not handle this enviornment well. It's an extreamley harsh and bumpy ride. It feels like the front end is way too stiff and the rear is some how both harsh and very bouncy.

Has anyone come up with a suspension solution that works well off road?

I have looked into the Jakes and rhox long trave suspension and while they seem like decent options the reviews are quite mixed. I have also not seen any real options for the rear. I am willing to spend a fare amount to get better enjoyment from this cart if anyone has any suggestions.
Brewcraft951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help with suspension for sand

There are LT (long travel) kits available for the front end but nothing for the rear. That has always been the problem....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:07 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If you wanna go LT for the rear you probably have to look at a 3-link or 4-link suspension. That’s a custom mod with a welder that knows what he’s doing.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:41 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
If you wanna go LT for the rear you probably have to look at a 3-link or 4-link suspension. That’s a custom mod with a welder that knows what he’s doing.
Years ago I made one and it was a lot of work. Not just the welding and bolting but the design and execution.
I have an idea for a bolt on rear LT for the TXT - should I manufacture it?

Yeah - it will sell like hotcakes!
Or nay - that's a waste of $ not enough people will buy it
Old 08-28-2022, 05:50 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Years ago I made one and it was a lot of work. Not just the welding and bolting but the design and execution.
I have an idea for a bolt on rear LT for the TXT - should I manufacture it?

Yeah - it will sell like hotcakes!
Or nay - that's a waste of $ not enough people will buy it
If you build it…….

—has to be good quality
—has to be well thought out
—price?? Gotta make a profit…but price has to be “reasonable”.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Being that I use my cart 99% off-road and on some pretty bumpy\rough fields I know my kidneys would appreciate a long travel rear suspension.

In just "thinking" of how to do this, a quick search revealed this thread: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...+ez+suspension on how this fellow fab-ed up air shocks for his txt.

Just "studying" his pics of the rear it appears he replaced the leaf springs with a box channel steel in the front, and then using the air shocks as the replacement "spring". The travel would be as long as the shock allowed.

But I can't see (I'm getting old and my focus seem's to fade) how this would control\stop any side to side sway of the cart. I doubt that just the front bushings would be sufficient to stop that, so there would have to be some type of "sway bar" (or anti-sway bar?) to prevent that.

Just thinking out loud
Old 08-30-2022, 07:56 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Air shocks can be very stiff. I think some coilovers would be better... the challenge is finding the mounts, the right length & travel, and the right weight bearing capacity. Keep us posted.
The old Strech LT used adjustable progressive coilovers. These were great
Old 08-30-2022, 09:38 PM   #8
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

As you guys have mentioned, I had to make, and remake my LT. Its basically a modified 3-link, with coilovers mounted at 45 degree angles opposite of each other which keeps the axle in correct track. The trial and error comes with weight of the rear end of the cart. The coil springs have to be set up with approx how much weight they are gonna support. This can vary with passenger and equipment load. Gotta find a happy medium.

I also find that sand riding is "better" if you use a "fatter" tire with low pressure like 3-5psi. Done a lot of desert sand riding, and have been pretty abusive on mine, and never broken a bead or ruined a tire.
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO