lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
rascalmax
Not Yet Wild

Default old gasser

1986 ezgo - 2 cycle
put in new coil and new ignitor in
push accelerator and motor turns over - does not fire
ease off accelerator and get fire, but does not continue when depressing accelerator. only fires briefly before shutting off.
any ideas?
rascalmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: old gasser

There are sadly many variables here. Just because you bought a new ignitor and coil does not mean that you bought working ones. This does sound like a defective coil breaking down under load. With 20/20 hindsight switching to the HEI mod would have been the thing to do. Still there are some tests that you can do. The first is to take the ground point on your frame apart and clean the frame and lugs down to bare metal. Ensure also that there is a nice ground strap between that point and the engine. If you do not have a perfect ground your little 2PG is going to find a ground via the choke cable or some old rusty engine mount and cause you intermittant grief. With the ground cleaned up does she start? No, OK place a voltmeter from the positive of the coil and the batttery negative. Now crank the engine for about 10 seconds. Do you see a constant 12 volts?. Let us know and we can proceed from there.
Dave Box
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Just to add another variable, one of the most common indicators of a bad ignitor is inconsistant spark - mine would spark like crazy while cranking over but as soon as it built any RPM's would stop or produce a weak, intermittent spark at best ...

Also, just for grins, pull the plug on your Pulsar (the red and blue wires coming out of the engine) and put an ohmmeter to the engine side, you should get between 75-150ish as a reading with the engine sitting, now switch your DMM to the lowest AC voltage setting and crank it over, you should get a reading of at least 1VAC if your pulsar is good. If it's not reading at least 1VAC, it has either become loose or has died (uncommon, but trust me, it happens)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
2jacksmax
Not Yet Wild

working with Rascalmax..
put meter on coil and battery
result was - volts were between .5 and 2
2jacksmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
2jacksmax
Not Yet Wild

me agian..
Ground wire and frame are extra clean.
with meter on red wire off coil and on battery negative --
Start off with 9 volts and press the accelerator and voltage goes to 1 volt
We did replace the ignitor
Old 11-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
2jacksmax
Not Yet Wild

checking on the pulsar and I found 2 wires red and blue form engine.
I get zero reading on these 2 wires.
My next question is that of where is the pulsar located?
I thought i was going to find this mounted outside the engine...
The 2 wires come form the engine so does that mean I have to tear down the engine to get access to the pulsar coil?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jacksmax View Post
checking on the pulsar and I found 2 wires red and blue form engine.
I get zero reading on these 2 wires.
My next question is that of where is the pulsar located?
I thought i was going to find this mounted outside the engine...
The 2 wires come form the engine so does that mean I have to tear down the engine to get access to the pulsar coil?
Are you saying that you did exactly what Brew City Music said and you got zero ohms and then zero volts ac when cranking the engine. If you are sure of this then you have a defective pulsar. You will need to remove the front cover for the fan then pull the flywheel. This is nausious to say the least so you really need to be sure that you want to do this.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

just to reiterate, you need to test the wires from the pulsar for AC voltage (not DC) while cranking it over - and Dave's right, pulling the flywheel can be a trick but the good news is it can be done right in the cart.

The other tip I have for you is to pull the flywheel BEFORE you order another pulsar, just in case yours has come loose (although if it ohms at zero this may not be likely). Also, it's a bit tricky, but check the red and blue wires where they exit the engine casing, they can rub themselves bare there if the rubber grommet slips or cracks, which will short out the pulsar and give you the troubles you're having - a little electrical tape usually fixes that temporarily (or "permanently", depending on your ambition)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO