lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Dust
Not Yet Wild

Default New guy with some old questions

here.
Been doing some reading and research, and I still have a few questions.
Having a HP Automotive background I am now at a friends request setting out to repair and get running his basket case EZGO Cart. This thing is not going to be used as a high speed toy more of an around his 5 acres as a means of mobility and tractor, hauling, dragging a small trailer, and such. That said the governor will be pitched necause it is a long way to the mailbox
The SN 593050, Mfg Code F0990, which I believe is a 1990 Marathon, the stickers that remain giving the ID of: 35th Anniversary with the Freedom package.
It has been used hard in ATV mode and put away dirty and now it is literally a basket case.
It appears that all of the original major components are intact, the Robin 244 was supposedly rebuilt however the previous owner has JB Weld globed on the inside of the Reed Cage, the Reeds appear to be fully sealing and I am not quite sure that I understand the motive for the epoxy; yet. I’ve read that the 79 D1 Yamaha Reed Cage can be made to fit, even finding that cage may prove elusive has anyone found a newer replacement?
The fuel pump at some time failed and the PO tried substituting a Automotive pump which while a good concept was not regulated to the correct pressure and so they failed to get it to work. The electric pump is there and it works and I have an extra regulator out in the shop but what fuel pressure is correct? I suspect 1 to 3 PSI?
The cart is currently sitting on 22-11-10 front and 22-11-10 Rear balled-flat-rotted'out tires. Curious about where the limits are (if any) for tire size?
I need to replace the lenses in the turn signals am I on my own or are such parts available?

That is enough for now, thanks in advance!
Dust
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New guy with some old questions

First, what I can say, if it's being used as a workhorse, I'd go for some smaller tires.He needs tires anyhow, and smaller ones would give him more power.I can only imagine the epoxy on the reed cage was to take care of cracks or something.As far as "rebuilt", the gobs of epoxy don't give me much faith.Grab ahold of the drive clutch(back of the engine)and see if you can rattle it around.Give it a compression test too.If the crank has no play, and you're getting at LEAST 100 PSI compression, Then I would move on to getting it going.If the crank has any detectable play, you're going to have to do a rebuild.

Turn signals?Why bother?Headlights and taillights should be fine unless he's planning on going street legal with it.But check around on e-bay or site sponsors for lenses if you really must.

Fuel pump.Right here I believe.There are a ton more too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZGO-2-Cycle...item3a75fe2cb3

Good luck!
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Dust
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
Good luck!
I'm covering the basics spent 1/2 the day with my pressure washer today.
Thanks for the input!

Dust
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

If the JB-Weld was behind the Reeds in the port,it was probably an attempt to raise the port that wasn't done properly.2.5-3psi is good for the pump,The tire size you have is about the max(22") for the 2PG 2-stroke.It will give you more speed,but any taller will kill power.The easiest power-gain on an early 2-stroke Marathon is to shim the Primary(Engine-Clutch).Remove the cover,add a 1-1/8" U-Bolt Washer(availiable at any Spring-Shop)They are 3/16" thick,and will give a huge amount of low-end power gain with no other mods.If the front-lites are original,you can buy replacements,otherwise look up lites thru Truck-Lite,Petersen,or Grote(either online or thru a dealer)There are tons of lites availiable that you can make work.Heavy-Truck suppliers can get you anything you want for lighting.Good-Luck,Enjoy!!!
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Heavy-Truck suppliers can get you anything you want for lighting.Good-Luck,Enjoy!!!
I could just imagine him getting in with some Peterbilt guys and ending up lit up like the fourth of July
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Dust
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If the JB-Weld was behind the Reeds in the port,it was probably an attempt to raise the port that wasn't done properly.2.5-3psi is good for the pump,The tire size you have is about the max(22") for the 2PG 2-stroke.It will give you more speed,but any taller will kill power.The easiest power-gain on an early 2-stroke Marathon is to shim the Primary(Engine-Clutch).Remove the cover,add a 1-1/8" U-Bolt Washer(availiable at any Spring-Shop)They are 3/16" thick,and will give a huge amount of low-end power gain with no other mods.If the front-lites are original,you can buy replacements,otherwise look up lites thru Truck-Lite,Petersen,or Grote(either online or thru a dealer)There are tons of lites availiable that you can make work.Heavy-Truck suppliers can get you anything you want for lighting.Good-Luck,Enjoy!!!
This cart has the 3PG engine not that it make that much difference. I'll set the regulator to 2PSi and see if she'll run, a no cost test.
I'll look into finding the u-bolt washer, out here in the sticks that means finding it on-line.
Front tires are 22's, rears are 24's thinking going 22 all round.

Thanks for the tips!
Dust
Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Dust
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliarc View Post
I could just imagine him getting in with some Peterbilt guys and ending up lit up like the fourth of July
Naw, I'm thinking neon underneath with strobes

Dust
Old 07-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Dust
Not Yet Wild

Question Re: New guy with some old questions

Say I'm going to need a Battery to power all those lights!
What fits a Group 24 or Group 34?

Thanks!
Dust
Old 07-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Not exactly sure, but my battery is from a lawn tractor of some sort.I got it from one of those battery reconditioners for $40.fits the hole nice and works fine.I have two tractor/utility lights up front and two tail lights in the rear.No problems so far all summer.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
amcjeep
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
The easiest power-gain on an early 2-stroke Marathon is to shim the Primary(Engine-Clutch).Remove the cover,add a 1-1/8" U-Bolt Washer(availiable at any Spring-Shop)They are 3/16" thick,and will give a huge amount of low-end power gain with no other mods.
Where are you adding the shim? Under the spring to give it more spring tension?
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO