lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
big dude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 88 2pg reverse only

cart has been running great all of summer, had new top end in spring.. went down gravel road yesterday. got on a good road ran good, then stalled an died came to hault fast, waited coupla mins and it started, did this 3 times then finally wouldnt start..towed home, on jack stands now.. back fires n forward, starts in reverse but regrettinly..been mixing gas 2 oz per gal. (iknow thats rich but with new piston) getting fuel an great spark.. one question about fr switch why would it start n reverse an not in forward. havent done compression. check but gettin good fuel flow..thanks for this site BTW..
big dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 2pg reverse only

Did you try racking that F/R switch back and forth a few times?Hit it with some contact cleaner while you do it.That might do it.
Heliarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
big dude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Question Re: 88 2pg reverse only

tried right after i read ur post, still starts an runs n reverse, only turns over an coughs at me n forward. is it possible an safe to reverse cables on fr switch. if so would it be b-d....
Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

Possible I'm sure but I have no idea how.I'm not sure where you can go next if it's only coughing in forward except to check your wiring and connections.I didn't notice that you said at first that it is turning over and coughing at you in forward, and starts hard in reverse right?I'm just thinking out loud here, but it may be a good idea to check your plug.Not sure why it would only fire in reverse, but after running that thick mixture, it can't hurt.Plus it might be pretty old.

Ok, your switch itself isn't hard to get apart and I'll give you my theory how it MIGHT be messing with you.Disconnect your battery first of all.There's a nut at the center of the switch behind the firewall that the switch rotates around.Take that off.Next, a Phillips head screw in the handle and that comes off.Next, take the whole assembly loose from the firewall and you should be able to slide it apart.You should be able to slide half of the switch right off now and give all the copper lugs a good cleaning with a scotch pad or some fine emery paper.

Now, you say it's already starting hard in reverse.I'm thinking the forward contacts on the switch are cruddy and creating more of a draw to turn it over.This means you get less power to your sparkplug, which may also be fouling out.Just a theory, but getting that switch apart and cleaning it properly won't hurt you a bit.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
big dude
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks heliarc will try cleanin it up. guy at work mentioned that too..
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Heliarc
Warthog cart

E-Z-GO

I hope it helps.if not for this forum I'd have given up on my basket case.Now I have my cart at %95.Just need to lay hands on a drive clutch.So naturally, I want to contribute as much as I can.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO