lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
melnick
Not Yet Wild

Default Install State of Charge meter in 2009 RXV

I'd like to install a state of charge meter in my 2009 RXV (48 volt).

What's the best meter to use - EZGO meter or another type?

What's involved in installing the meter?

Thank for the help.
melnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Install State of Charge meter in 2009 RXV

There are a few different kinds and qualities of meters available. They vary in accuracy and durability. There are analogue (bouncing needle type), bar graph types (horizontal and vertical), and digital types. Of these the digital types are the most accurate, the analogue meter is next, and the bar graph meter is last.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnick View Post
I'd like to install a state of charge meter in my 2009 RXV (48 volt).

What's the best meter to use - EZGO meter or another type?

What's involved in installing the meter?

Thank for the help.
The EZGO meter I installed is most likely the easiest install, but not the cheapest by any means.

You can buy the EZGO RXV State-of-Charge meter (analog) and the additional short adapter wiring harness. The SOC meter will also work on gas carts as a fuel guage so you need the crossover wiring harness. In addition you will need a to either order a new instrument panel for the meter, or cut a hole in your current panel.
The installation is simple. Cut the hole, fit the meter, plug the adapter harness onto the SOC meter and plug it into the pigtail connector off your Key Switch. When you pull the instrument panel you should have the pigtail provided. It was on my 2008 RXV. These are OEM and I am happy with mine.

However, ScottyB sells a digital meter that gives you the exact voltage at the battery pack. In my opinion this is the way to go. You still have to cut a hole in your panel, but you could likely use the wires provided in the switch pigtail to provide the pack reading without running any additional wiring, not positive as I haven't tried it and you would need to check with a digital volt meter, but I don't see why it will not work. The wires in the pigtail are switched on/off by the iginition so there is no problem with the gauge staying on. If these wires don't provide the battery pack voltage, then you would need to run a couple of additional wires to the battery pack.

I tried a Curtis LED meter first, and could never get it to work properly as it would reset everytime the key was turned off and on, to random values. Maybe it was the installer, or maybe the way the LED gauge has a reset function when the battery pack is charged, but either way I changed it out with the OEM.

Here is link to ScottyB's digital and analog gauges (his company is a site sponsor).

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

Do a thread search there is a lot of information on installing these SOC meters on the forum.
MiltonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's a picture of my installation with a rockerswitch for my lights mounted on the left, the SOC meter in the middle, and the ignition on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RXV EZGO SOC.jpg (345.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Don't have a pic but I used the factory SOC meter from EZ-Go, caught it at $50 with a 20% coupon, plugged right in. Now it is not a digital meter, but it was good enough for me.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #6
melnick
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonC View Post
The EZGO meter I installed is most likely the easiest install, but not the cheapest by any means.

You can buy the EZGO RXV State-of-Charge meter (analog) and the additional short adapter wiring harness. The SOC meter will also work on gas carts as a fuel guage so you need the crossover wiring harness. In addition you will need a to either order a new instrument panel for the meter, or cut a hole in your current panel.
The installation is simple. Cut the hole, fit the meter, plug the adapter harness onto the SOC meter and plug it into the pigtail connector off your Key Switch. When you pull the instrument panel you should have the pigtail provided. It was on my 2008 RXV. These are OEM and I am happy with mine.

However, ScottyB sells a digital meter that gives you the exact voltage at the battery pack. In my opinion this is the way to go. You still have to cut a hole in your panel, but you could likely use the wires provided in the switch pigtail to provide the pack reading without running any additional wiring, not positive as I haven't tried it and you would need to check with a digital volt meter, but I don't see why it will not work. The wires in the pigtail are switched on/off by the iginition so there is no problem with the gauge staying on. If these wires don't provide the battery pack voltage, then you would need to run a couple of additional wires to the battery pack.

I tried a Curtis LED meter first, and could never get it to work properly as it would reset everytime the key was turned off and on, to random values. Maybe it was the installer, or maybe the way the LED gauge has a reset function when the battery pack is charged, but either way I changed it out with the OEM.

Here is link to ScottyB's digital and analog gauges (his company is a site sponsor).

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html

Do a thread search there is a lot of information on installing these SOC meters on the forum.
Milton

How do you get access to plug into the wiring harness. Does the small panel where you installed the meter come off or do you have to disassemble the entire panel?
melnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnick View Post
Milton

How do you get access to plug into the wiring harness. Does the small panel where you installed the meter come off or do you have to disassemble the entire panel?
The manual says to remove 4 torx head screws that secure the instrument panel trim to the instrument panel.
Pull the top trim panel (this is the whole dash panel) away....
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The manual says to remove 4 torx head screws that secure the instrument panel trim to the instrument panel.
Pull the top trim panel (this is the whole dash panel) away....
That's right ScottyB. If I recall correctly there are torque screws on each end of the entire trim panel and 3 torque screws in middle. All of these screws penetrate thru the frame and into the front cowl. Then the entire trim piece including the instrument panel comes off.

You will also need to loosen or remove the 2 side panels where the trim panel slides in and there are tabs that fit into slots on each side that can be broken if you get too rough with the trim panel when removing.

Give me a little while and I will post the service manual and you can see how it all goes together. Its on another computer.

Warnings
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
MiltonC
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Attached is the RXV Electric Parts Manual.

Be sure and flip your run tow switch to the tow position before working on the cart. You don't plan on doing anything electrical, but better safe than sorry.

Step 1: Reference page C-5. Remove the upper rocker panel (2 ) on the driver and passenger side by removing the torque screws (3).

Step 2: Reference page C-1. Remove the 4-self-threading nuts (28 ) from the bottom of the cupholder assembly (26) and pull up and forward. I can't remeber if this is absolutely necessary to get to the 2-middle screws, but it gives you more room to work.

Step 3: Reference Page C-1. Remove the 4-screws (11) that are holding the instrument trim panel (4) to the cowl.

Step 4: Reference Page C-1. Remove trim panel. Be careful, there is a tab inserted into the cowl at the very bottom of the trim panel behind the rocker panel. Be sure and pull straight back on the panel to release this tab. If you twist the panel while removing you will damage the tabs. You can see where the tab engages at the bottom left and right of the cowl (look just above where the number 24 is located on the drawing).

Step 5: look for a set of wires either 2or 3 with a plug on the end that is not connected. This is the SOC wiring plug. I can't remember if it is tied to the ignition or if it is just part of the harness. You should see it within a few inches of the ignition switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RXV Electric Parts Manual.pdf (10.06 MB, 0 views)

Last edited by MiltonC; 01-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Edited after writing.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's cool Milton, I only had the service and repair manual (paper copy)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO