lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Insco7
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G9 saggy rear end

I recently bought a G9 and love it. It seems the rear suspension is past its prime. It seems to bottom out too easy and doesnt exactly spring back up like it should. The front seems fine. Are there any cheaper options on replacing the rear shocks? It is totally stock and I really dont plan to lift it anytime soon. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Eric
Insco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
supra4life28
Getting Wild

Default Re: G9 saggy rear end

I ran into the same issues after I added a rear seat kit. I highly recommend ordering upgraded springs from Mcmaster found here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#96485k191/=3vhh4u

Part 96485k191.

Good luck!
supra4life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Insco7
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Excellent! Thank you. Do they just unscrew so you can swap out the coil?
Insco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
supra4life28
Getting Wild

You need to compress the springs and the top collar slides out. It is a very simple upgrade. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
xobon
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I am getting ready to do this same thing to my G16. I was planning to go the cheaper route and use the McMaster spring as well. However, after doing this on a friends G2 I am thinking I can really see why the purchased kit has the collars. We had major problems compressing the spring enough to get it back under the clip. It was actually a bit scary.

I would have sworn I had a seen a post here that someone had gotten collars also from McMaster, but I can not seem to dig it up now. If any one has tried going that route I wonder if they might have the part numbers for the springs, and the collar they used?
xobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
supra4life28
Getting Wild

On a G2/G9 I can't see any reason why collars would be needed.

Insco- I used the ratchet strap method and had zero issues compressing and removing my old stock springs. Make sure you use two heavy duty straps and a nice vice. Once compressed the top collar and springs slide out easily.

If you paint the springs make sure you give the paint ample time to harden. I got into a hurry and removed several spots of paint with the ratchet straps, Ughhhh!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
venice
Not Yet Wild

I am not sure what the ratchet strap method looks like
venice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
xobon
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I was wondering the same thing.

when we did the G2 springs, we used some generic spring compressors, and still had trouble getting the new McMaster spring compressed enough to get the clip back on top. I am wondering was there any easier way.
xobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
ride2tires
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I tried ratchet straps, tho with no success. Ended up using an arbor press, MUCH easier. ;)
ride2tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

We had some blocks we made from 2x4s' years ago for motorcycle shocks(I would recommend steel!)But we had 2 pieces of threaded-rod and drew them up evenly to compress the coil until we could remove the retainers.It works good.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha