lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

Question RXV Mileage on a Charge

Hello All,
I have had my 2009 RXV for a liltte over 3 months now and have done a ton of riding in that time. Lately it seems that I am getting less mileage per charge, so I started carrying my GPS with me so I can see how many miles I am actually going. My batteries are 3 month old Crown CR-GC150's (4x12 volt) that have been maintained/charged as they should other than running them a little below 40% SOC a few times. The cart currently has the street legal package and an after market bar graph type battery guage. Lights, etc. are wired to 1 of the batteries as from the factory and the battery guage is wired to the factory connector at the key switch. I'm rolling on 215/35-14's and see a shade over 22 MPH top speed.

Since I have been measuring with my GPS, I have only been getting 8 to 12 miles before I get below 50% as measured with my DMM (not the battery guage). I swear I was getting more previously but can't prove it. Hill pulling power feels slightly diminished as well.

My riding is nearly all on pavement, slightly hilly with the occasional big hill, and most of the time have a couple of passengers.

What I would like to know is:
Your RXV setup (tire size/diameter)
Number of passengers typical
Battery setup/ approximate age
What lights/accessories do you have
How are your lights/accessories connected (1 battery or converter)
Your normal terrain (somewhat subjective, I know)
Number of miles before you charge

Sorry for the long read but I think the responses may be interesting.

Rob
RebelStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: RXV Mileage on a Charge

If you use much 12 volt stuff such as your lights, you'll seriously compromise your battery pack and hurt the range and the life of your pack. A voltage converter is a very good idea.

To see what's going on, use your DVM and measure the voltage on the individual batteries and record the readings. They should be very close, probably within .05 volts. If you look at one of the SOC charts, you'll see that on a 12 volt battery, a .1 volt difference is nearly 10% difference in SOC.

I have a brand-new RXV, but haven't ridden it enough to have any idea of range. I did install one of Scottyb's digital volt meters in the dash in addition to the factory-installed analog gauge.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Outside temperature has a significant effect on battery performance. The colder it is the less efficient. Its around the board somewhere...maybe someone knows off hand
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You should be getting more mileage. I would say your battery with the lights is suffering.
Also, 80°f = 100% rated capacity, 60°f = 80% rated capacity.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's the chart showing reduction in battery capacity as temp drops. This is a Trojan chart but other makes would be similar.
Recently we tested a friends cart with lights only connected to two batteries (6v) and I was amazed at how fast those two batteries became unbalanced from the pack. Only a matter of weeks with not much light usage. We determined that if you are going to use any of the pack batteries to power 12v accessories, they should be rotated frequently. So, I think its possible the battery you are using for lights could be suffering a little.
This could also be a battery problem unrelated to powering accessories. Even thought they are fairly new, it happens. Need to test each one to be sure. Your range seems low to me but with 3 adults aboard and your foot in it constantly--with cooler temps---maybe. What speed limit is the cart set to? 19.6?
Check air pressure. Low pressure+foot in it+low temps adds up to noticeably reduced range.
Check battery pack voltage ~12 hours after full charge with digital volt meter. Any abnormality here suggests load test on each battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trojan Temp vs Storage Capacity.jpg (81.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies guys. The battery with the lights connected to it does read consistantly .2 volts lower than the other 3 batteries after running the cart for a while with the lights on. I intend to load test the batteries this evening to see if I have ruined a battery.

I fully charged each battery invividually over the past few days in an attempt to equalize the pack and went for a long ride yesterday. Did not use any lights other than the brake lights and outside temp was approximately 45 F. I made a 11.8 mile trip, just 180 lb. of me in the cart, a good bit of stop-and-go around town, with a heavy foot. Got back to the house and was at about 40% on the pack, a little closer to 30% on the suspect battery - measured after about 30 minutes rest.

I have a DC-DC converter and a voltmeter, but just have not got around to installing them yet. I may move that up on the priority list.

Any RXV owners want to chime in with some comparisons?
RebelStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Actually, it will be the other batteries that are damaged, as they would be overcharged while the one that was drained more is still charging..
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You may want to consider replacing the four 12V batteries with six 8V batteries when it is time to get new batteries.

I'm not an RXV guy, but some people have done it and say it is fairly easy to change the battery rack with one that hold six batteries.

Disregard the 6V batteries at the bottom of the list, but it is pretty plain to see that a 48V pack using the weakest 8V batteries has the same storage capacity (run-time/range) as the strongest 48V pack using 12V batteries and you can get around 40%, or more, capacity with higher AH 8V batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh - Various Trojan Batteries-1.JPG (60.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

JohnnieB,
Thanks for that chart, it's very enlightening! If I was looking for absolute maximum range, I think I'd try for the 8, 6-volt batteries. It appears as though 2 could be crammed into the bag well, so if 6 would go under the seat, you'd be all set. I'll almost certainly change to the 6, 8-volt batteries when the time comes.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Jerj7907
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You can stuff 2 in the bag well and run 6 volts. I converted mine to 8 as I did not want batteries on the back. Inverter would be a priority for me. I am not a battery guru like some on here but definitely do a load test and post your results. I had 23" tires and got 26 miles on 3 year old batteries. Never got a chance to test mileage with 8 volts before it was stolen. Got a 2010 gas limo ordered but plan on building another electric RXV in the near future. When I do it will have 8 volt batteries as I know I drove it well over 26 miles but never GPSed the mileage. Also those miles were with 2 adults 2 children in nice riding weather.
Jerj7907 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO