lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Shuttle Won't Go (Pot Box?)

I just picked up a 1997 EZGo Shuttle 6 48-volt cart. When I push on the throttle, the solenoid clicks and the cart shudders a bit like it's it's trying to move, but can't. The batteries are good and I'm pretty sure the solenoid is good based on my testing.

The last test I did was to pull the two throttle wires off the controller and check the resistance to see if the pop box was working. I had a reading of 10.3 and there was no change when I pressed the throttle.

Does that mean the pop box needs to be replaced? Where does the microswitch fit into this equation?
wakeworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Shuttle Won't Go (Pot Box?)

I might be looking in the wrong manual, but if the attached manual is the correct one, it has an ITS (Inductive Throttle System) rather than a Pot Box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cargo shuttle, shuttle,electric,6,28318G01R.pdf (16.13 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like bad batteries to me. place meter on the pack and try to go - what does the voltage reading start at and drop to?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Before you dig into this too deep be sure the solenoid is not the problem. I observed this symptom on a golf cart that would do just that, the solenoid would click and the cart would just bump. Check if there is a resistor (Precharge resistor 250 ohm typical value)between the big terminals on the solenoid. In the case above the resistor was missing and the solenoid was bad because the surge the controller will draw when the solenoid clicks. Also check battery voltage on both big terminals when the solenoid clicks. The solenoid can be bad and the resistor will charge the controller with enough energy that it will bump when you press the pedal. If the pedal box is suspect and it has an ITS in it you have come to the right place. JohnnieB can help you.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Scottyb you may be on to something. After charging the batteries, I got a reading of 47.3. When I press the throttle, it dropped to 26. I checked all the batteries individually (after I did this test) and most were 6.4, one at 6.35, one at 6.27 and one black sheep at 4.0.

Could the one bad battery be dragging down the whole bunch or are they all most likely dead. They are U.S. Battery and dated 6/10.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
wakeworld
Not Yet Wild

Ok, what had me tricked was that there were two "black sheep" batteries. I swear they both read over 6 volts just a few days ago, but now they both read 4 volts. I swapped them out with some other batteries and everything seems to be working great now. Thanks for the help!!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Batteries change their minds more than wives do.

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Batteries change their minds more than wives do.
That'll get you in trouble.

Good thing this is more of a guy forum. I was just banned from a mainly women's forum a few days ago. I made the mistake of reporting that I gave my rescued squirrel a bath, which is considered "abuse". God must hate them to abuse them with snow and rain.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:33 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
That'll get you in trouble.

Good thing this is more of a guy forum. I was just banned from a mainly women's forum a few days ago. I made the mistake of reporting that I gave my rescued squirrel a bath, which is considered "abuse". God must hate them to abuse them with snow and rain.
I have been known to be slightly less than PC at times.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

What's PC mean?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO