lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery Range?

If I go with 48 volts will I have to change my controller or anything else?
Dr.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You need to go to at least a 400 amp controller if using moderately off road and going to deer stand , for heavy stuff go 500 amp controller , but you may need to up grade motor as well or de -rate controller output give Scotty a call - carts unlimited site sponsor

EDIT - I see you already have Alltrax controller and plum Quick motor , my bad
So you will not need to upgrade anything else except solenoid needs to be 48 volt
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:03 AM   #13
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Love View Post
Not sure about distance. But I know its no where near 10 miles. I would say I get around 2 hours of constant riding going around half speed maybe alittle faster.
2 hours of constant riding will net you 10 miles if you do at least 5 mph. I suspect you ride along a bit faster then that so you do get more then 10 miles range.

For what it's worth, a stock cart can get between 20-24 miles before needing charged. Adding larger tires and a bigger controller will decrease that some unless you up the battery pack.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #14
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I ran my stock series motor at 48 volts and 500 amps and only had to monitor temps. Amps are "requested" by your motor, and not "pushed" by the controller. I have an on-board ammeter and only see above 400 amps for a short period of time when climbing a steep hill with passengers.

However, creeping up steep hills may cause excess heat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Dr. Love.....I have a 36v cart as well, its lifted and 23" tires, I have a high speed motor and have the same AH batteries you do. I do however, have a 500A but that really matter much ....as long as the motor is getting what it needs. AND all my roads are FLAT.

When I first got it all set up, I too wanted to know its range. This was June, so it was a little warm, and the temps will make a difference. Remember, my batteries were my, or actually after I broke them in. I charted out a course around my neighborhood, was 5.5 miles, and can run at full speed if need be, well other then going around the corners. I had it fully charged up ad took off...... ran two laps straight (11 miles) stopped and let it rest for about 30 minutes.....looked at the battery meter and took off again....made two more laps (now I was up to 22 miles)......stopped and let it rest for about 30 to recover again and took a total pack reading.....the SOC was at 75%. so knowing that, I and to never allow the pack voltage to go below 50%......my range will be somewhere in the ball park of 28 to 30 miles. also, all of this was done with only me on the cart.....
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With a 36V-225AH battery pack, stock Controller, stock Motor and stock Tires, the estimated range was 26.7 miles.
With a 36V-225AH battery pack, DCX400 Controller, stock Motor and 18.3" Tires, the estimated range was 30.3 miles.
With a 42V-245AH battery pack, DCX400 Controller, stock Motor and 18.3" Tires, the average estimated range was 35.5 miles.
With the setup listed below, my average estimated range is 32.7 miles. (Not compensated for temperature and two well-fed people on-board in some tests.)

To estimate the range for your cart, all you need is a DVM, a GPS (or other reasonably accurate odometer) and the attached SoC chart.

Measure the AT-Rest pack voltage before you start the trip and look up the SoC.
Measure how many miles traveled to the nearest 1/10 mile.
Measure the At-Rest pack voltage after the trip and look up the SoC.

Subtract the After SoC from the Before SoC.
Divide that number by the miles traveled. (This gives you % SoC used per mile traveled)
Divide 50% by the %SoC per mile traveled.
That will give you a ballpark estimate of how far your cart will travel without discharging the pack below 50% Soc.

Temperature affects range, so your cart will go further in the summer than it will in the winter.

BTW: At-Rest voltage is measured about 12 hours after the battery charger shuts of, or about half an hour after the cart stops being driven.

Also, the after voltage measurement probably won't line up with the % SoC on the Voltage vs SoC tables, so you'll have to interpolate.

------------
I believe you have model US 2200 made by US Battery, if so and you are using the regular charger that you got with the cart, you may not be fully charging your battery pack, so the range (and battery's useful lifespan) will be reduced.

Regular chargers are setup for Trojan batteries and US Battery batteries need to be charged to a higher voltage. See attached Technical Service Bulletin from US Battery. (PDF File)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoC vs Voltage - US Battery.JPG (58.1 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I posted about this range issue not that long ago. http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-now-fast.html Read thru the postings at this link and I think you may find it very helpful. I know this discussion helped me get a much better understanding of why my cart was getting less distance in very cold weather.

Now, in addition to the post, if you are going to upgrade to a 48-V system, I would highly recommend going with eight 6-V batteries. You will get at least a 20% longer run time from eight 6-V vs six 8-V batteries. As too battery brand, you should probably post that question and have the experts here help you out with that.

Also, if you have a TXT cart, (and I can't recall what you have...if you posted that) I highly recommend that you trash your mechanical F\R switch and buy an F\R contactor switch that ScottyB sells. This will cost you a few $$$ but you will get rid of the weak link in your carts electrical system.

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #18
Dr.Love
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the info. Whenever all of this snow is gone I am going to do a real test. Just by going by the size of our farm dont think I am getting any where near the 10 to 15 mile range.
Dr.Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #19
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Don't forget about the DPI Accusense 48v charger from ScottyB. @www.cartsunlimited.net.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #20
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you can get 20 + miles on a charge that would be very good
This 30 mile range I think is only in the best case , just like when you get a new truck and they say it gets x amount of mileage and it is no way near that even when you have broken in the engine
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO