lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
ucczeroskater
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO Back Wheels Locked U

I have a 1996 EZGO TXT Electric Golf Cart. I was riding yesterday in the snow around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes, then I came back parked the cart. After sitting for about an hour or so, I proceeded to get back in it and noticed that it wouldn't go anywhere. When I turned the switch I heard motor click on. I tried rolling it with the tow switch on and still nothing happened. I took the jack and put the rear of the cart in the air and the wheels spun freely by hand, but in opposite directions. I took apart the right wheel and the brakes were fine. Still haven't taken apart the left but I assume this isn't the problem since they turn freely in the air. Anyone have any suggestions before I take everything apart?
ucczeroskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Back Wheels Locked U

We'll you described a classic problem.....with the wheels both off the ground, and seeing as how the wheels spin in opposite directions, you have a regular rear end, not a limited slip.....

now when you take apart the LEFT Side.....and remove the hub.....you will most likely find the spine in the hub STRIPED.

Oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are more people that have more experiance with this then myself and i they may correct me but it may be you solenoid.

I was told mine was going bad by a local golf cart shop and it need to be replaced. I asked "If it was going bad why coulnd i tell? it drives fine." they told me when it goes bad it will just stop working and ill be stuck where ever im at so by the sounds of it that may be the same problem you have.
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

I doubt he has a stripped hub if turning one wheel causes the opposite wheel to spin. If the hub splines were stripped there would be no way for the axle to spin the wheel, or vice/versa.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
I doubt he has a stripped hub if turning one wheel causes the opposite wheel to spin. If the hub splines were stripped there would be no way for the axle to spin the wheel, or vice/versa.
well if he had it lifted as he stated.....there isn't much resistance....and could have enough grip to spin it....but not enough to move the cart once you put it on the ground.....at least its something to check, as he was going to take the hub off anyway.....if that isn't what it is.....at least it eliminates that.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
ucczeroskater
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO Back Wheels Locked Up

Thanks guys for the welcome and the replies. I'll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind when I'm trying to figure this thing out. As far as the solenoid goes, how would you know if it was bad? Is it supposed to have a certain resistance across it when I check it with a volt meter?
ucczeroskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
v UNO v
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Unfortunetlly i dont know the answer to that, electrical is not my strongest area, i was just going off of what the shop told me. I know there are some people on here who would knwo that answer. I would try to reach out to JohnnieB or Scottyb.
v UNO v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have seen strip hubs which will still function under minimal load, like being jacked up off the floor.
Place the cart back on the floor. Have someone press the gas while you look at the axle nuts. If the axle not is moving but the tire is not then you have a strip hub.

Check the cable connections on the motor to be sure you have a solid connection.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Probably not your problem, but after riding in the snow/ice for a while yesterday, my throttle was stuck, so I put it in Neutral, tried to apply the parking brake, and it too didn't work. I had to dig the snow/ice off of both pedals to get it working again.

If you have an ITS, they also can get weird if they get wet. It's probably not the encapsulated ITS, but the wires that connect to it confusing the controller signals.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #10
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
We'll you described a classic problem.....with the wheels both off the ground, and seeing as how the wheels spin in opposite directions, you have a regular rear end, not a limited slip.....

now when you take apart the LEFT Side.....and remove the hub.....you will most likely find the spine in the hub STRIPED.

Oh and btw......Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, wive's, husbands, girlfirends and boyfriends here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
I hate it when hubs get striped. It way worse than when they get stripped!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO