lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Default Re: Confused with TXT PDS

Welp... Noticed the solenoid was missing the diode on it. So i put on one. Silver band facing positive. And pop went the controller... Awesome. This cart is going to give me a hell of a week.
TheFlash16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #12
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

LOL, so now the controller is malfunctioning? At least you can fix that.......
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Luckily we carry ALLTrax controllers on hand so yes i fixed that issue. Little confused as to what made the controller pop... Good news I guess is if it dies the ALLTrax definitely has a better diagnostic mode than the EzGo. Lol. Any other input would be much appreciated.

Cameron
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The 3-1 beep code is Solenoid Driver failure. Sounds like the controller might have provided some good info.

The PDS controller supplies both B+ (J1 Pin-7 Yellow wire) and B- (J1 Pin-6 Blue wire) to the solenoid, so activating the solenoid is a two step process.
When the Run/Tow is in Run, the charger is unplugged from cart (or reed switch bypassed) and the direction selector is in either F or R, B+ will be applied to the solenoid coil via J1 Pin-7.

Note: If the solenoid coil is good, you will also measure B+ on the blue wire at this time.

When the pedal switch closes, J1 Pin-6 is connected to B- and the solenoid clicks.

Note: As long as the Run/Tow switch is in Run, the controller can also activate the solenoid without any human involvement, when certain conditions are met.

The solenoid in a PDS cart did not have a diode installed at the factory. The controller was supposed to be protected against the electrical spike generated when the solenoid coil de-energized. However, adding a properly oriented diode should not have harmed the controller.

-------------
Since the original controller is working in a different cart, I suspect the original problem was a bad (intermittent) wire or contact with either the Blue or Yellow wire connecting the solenoid coil to J1, or between J1 and the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash16 View Post
Luckily we carry ALLTrax controllers on hand so yes i fixed that issue. Little confused as to what made the controller pop... Good news I guess is if it dies the ALLTrax definitely has a better diagnostic mode than the EzGo. Lol. Any other input would be much appreciated.

Cameron
The customer will love, or hate , the Alltrax.

A 36V PDS will do 24 MPH on stock height tires when you install a controller the doesn't limit the motor's max RPM to 4,400 like the stock PDS controller does.

I ran a stock PDS motor at 36V with a DCX400 for a while, it was a nce combination.

Check the crimp-on terminals on the control wiring. I had the in-line connector in the wire to the reed switch fail when I was out in the middle of nowhere. I found the problem and did a temporary fix in the field, but I check the rest of the connectors in the wiring harness and found a couple more connectors that were substandard.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Also check your plug for the run tow switch. I have had one of those give the same signs.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Also check your plug for the run tow switch. I have had one of those give the same signs.
you mean like this. I by passed the bad pin with a wire soldered to the board
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140210_180317.jpg (59.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140210_180245.jpg (334.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20140210_191258.jpg (325.2 KB, 0 views)
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #18
TheFlash16
Getting Wild

Thanks JohnnieB! After I changed the controller the problem is no longer happening. I'm thinking one of the connectors on that plugged into the controller was making bad connection and the pigtail that comes with the ALLTrax fixed it. Cart runs smooth and doesn't die.... even after 30 minutes on a rough trail being my shop. Thanks for all the help guys! Real fast another question. A solenoid doesn't have polarity correct? So it shouldn't matter where the blue and yellow wires go on the small terminals, correct?
Thanks again guys!!

Cameron
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid has no polarity. The small + and - activation wires can be on either posts. The only thing that is critical is that the banded end on the diode is towards the + wire

In this cart yellow is +
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Confused with TXT PDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash16 View Post
haha yeah that's how I feel!
The customer has a couple of these carts. He thought the controller could be bad so he swapped it with one of the other ones, the one he swapped it with is still running, this one is still intermittent..
Sometimes I miss my old job LOL

Thanks anyways!
Excellent job troubleshooting so far.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO