lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
derkoldoo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool best cart

hello good people. my first time on here,so be nice. I am looking to buy a cart to ride in my residential area. Maybe a little grass riding. what is best used cart I can get for around 3500.00? I find anything running less than 17mph is slow. I don't mind having it modified later. im new to all this. does anyone know how much lighting I need ? thanks and God bless

Last edited by derkoldoo; 03-08-2014 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: mispelled
derkoldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: best cart

Welcome to BGW! Lighting is different in every state, and you do not mention your state, nor is it in your avatar. My state (Georgia) requires running lights and headlights, but no directional indicators. Yours may probably be different. You should try:

Googleing laws for your state
Go to a golf cart dealer in your state and ask them

Good luck!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybell View Post
Welcome to BGW! Lighting is different in every state, and you do not mention your state, nor is it in your avatar. My state (Georgia) requires running lights and headlights, but no directional indicators. Yours may probably be different. You should try:

Googleing laws for your state
Go to a golf cart dealer in your state and ask them

Good luck!
You also dont mention if you are looking for gas or electric?

either way, stick with the big 3, Yamaha, Ez-go, Club Car. All three will be easy to find parts and aftermarket mods.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Another thing that might help folks answer is whether $3,500 is the final price, or whether you might consider upgrades a few years down the road.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Since you posted this in the EZGO section, I'm going to assume that this is the brand you are interested in. A semi-late model EZGO TXT would meet most of your criteria. On standard tires a TXT PDS will run close to 18 mph in Freedom mode and should not lose too much speed on slight hills. My PDS with 23" tires will run 22-23 mph on the street. Larger tires will gain you speed but also cost you power on hills. I can run 23 mph flat out but on 12%+ hills, my speed drops to 12-14 mph. An aftermarket 400 amp controller would help make up for the torque loss of the bigger tires.

As for lighting, I feel that the EZGO headlight kit is pretty weak. Obviously the faster you travel, the greater your light requirement will be. The EZGO lightbar kit that mounts in the center of the cart just under the body seems to have better light output. My cart had the headlight kit when I bought it and I don't like the looks of the EZGO lightbar so I plan to install a 10-12" LED lightbar with flood pattern. LED lights require far less current than traditional lighting which is a perfect fit for an electric vehicle.

$3500 should get you a pretty decent cart. Plain old used carts seem to command around $2,000 in my area. A lift, bigger tires and aluminum wheels should add about $1,000 and a rear seat kit $350-$400. 2 years ago I purchased a 2005 TXT with new body, rear seat, custom seat covers, 23" tires, 12" aluminum wheels, new batteries, 2 ga battery cables, charger and new tinted windshield for $4900. I wanted to build one myself, but after I figured up the cost of all the parts, I would have saved at best $300.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

One more thing you should do is research you local laws. I think a lot of states require 20 mph min and some have a max. Might need flashy orange light on top, seat belts, brake lights, turn signals, etc.

You might want to get one that's already been approved and street legal for your state.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Batteries are WAY expensive so do some homework and check water levels, age and current voltages for each battery. Is are aren't fully charged when someone is actually trying to sell a cart, assume they probably weren't properly maintained.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
derkoldoo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

is a pds a better electric cart to modify than a txt? what is the difference in the two. im just wanting to get to around 20 mph.
derkoldoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

TXT is the model, PDS is the drive system. The PDS controller has several user programmable modes for speed and regenerative breaking. The DCS or Series carts are not programmable and to my knowledge require a controller upgrade to gain more speed. The PDS is going to be the most user friendly for the average person, but the system is more fragile when worked hard with large tires or towing trailers.

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can explain it better.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

The best cart is one that you can Borrow, then it don't run your bank account down
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO