lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
envirocad
Not Yet Wild

Default 2014 YDRA - 6" lift, out of control steering

Just bought a 2014 Ydra EFI. .it had a 6" Madjax lift. Using it to ride the beach. It did not take long to realize something is wrong with the control of steering when running down the road. I called Madjax and they said to set the toe out 3/8 inch and it takes a few times to get it right. Brought back to dealer and he toed it out.....it drives better but when I turn the front shocks really get squishy and I'm always correcting left to right.....If you're going fast it gets into a bad situation. It will basically just go right then left like the shocks are not stiff enough. It dips hard when I turn like you could flip it over. Dealer says it's normal and should just not go fast with a lift. I think maybe it's a lift kit problem? No springs on the front shocks...it has a rear seat also. Kinda scared to let the kids drive it, and that's why I bought it. Should I just by another lift kit?????? Thanks for any advice.
envirocad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 YDRA - 6" lift, out of control steering

You know who makes a very nice lift kit? Jake's... Its more expensive, but you get what you paid for. I think the whole thing about "just dont drive that fast" is a B.S. cop out for a inferior design. You should read up about how to adjust your toe settings and experiment to try to find a setting that is better (or the best compromise between stability and horrible tire wear). If i bought a lift kit, had problems, and was told "just drive slower" i would be pizzed... How fast are you going, 25 maybe?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Is it a spindle lift or the control arm lift? I have the jakes 3" and the 6" spindle lifts in the past and to properly set the toe on the lifts took me 2 or 3 times to get the steering dialed on when traveling high speed on pavement. The best setting for me was 1/8" toe in on these setups. Actually just got back from riding 3 miles on the highway back from the swimming hole and almost made the entire drive with very little touching the steering wheel. Tracks straight as an arrow. I have the rear seat and the 22" turf tires with the full plowmans performance kit with governor bypassed. Speeds close to 30 mph.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Neither, the lift he has totally replaces the front suspension with a transverse leaf spring setup, a little like a club car.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Forgot to mention i know what you mean about the steering getting squirrly at high speeds. Its bad when you have passengers. My problem was that the toe was almost 1/2" in, just the ever so slight movemnt of the steering wheel would cause the cart to go all over the road .
Old 05-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
envirocad
Not Yet Wild

Here is a pic of the front end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140517_133950.jpg (206.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
envirocad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmachine View Post
Forgot to mention i know what you mean about the steering getting squirrly at high speeds. Its bad when you have passengers. My problem was that the toe was almost 1/2" in, just the ever so slight movemnt of the steering wheel would cause the cart to go all over the road .
That's what it's like...very slight movements of the wheel and next thing you know I'm having to let off the gas to regain control because it's going left right left right..... And nevermind corners, one side just dives down instantly like it's gonna throw us. I'm driving half throttle by the way, have not touched the limiter yet. Should I get the Jakes spindle lift?
Old 05-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
envirocad
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You should read up about how to adjust your toe settings and experiment to try to find a setting that is better (or the best compromise between stability and horrible tire wear).
Good idea. I'll mess around with the toe settings this week. Thanks Guys!!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You know who makes a very nice lift kit? Jake's... Its more expensive, but you get what you paid for. I think the whole thing about "just dont drive that fast" is a B.S. cop out for a inferior design. You should read up about how to adjust your toe settings and experiment to try to find a setting that is better (or the best compromise between stability and horrible tire wear). If i bought a lift kit, had problems, and was told "just drive slower" i would be pizzed... How fast are you going, 25 maybe?
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
dbmachine
Gone Wild

What are the positives and negatives of the front type leaf setup that the madjax uses? Looks like the negatives are poor handling but wandering why they would make a lift looks like that??

Tags
2014, lift, madjax
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha