lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
ckball
Not Yet Wild

Default Being ripped off by mechanic-I know the problem but I am a woman- help please

Can anyone tell me the ramifications of having the accelerator stop switch not mounted but just hanging down under the cart? Below is the story-but short story after having my forward/reverse replace I melted a battery- my mechanic is trying to jerk me around because I am a woman. I wish I would have replaced the darn thing myself-but I was hoping the problem was a cheaper solution so didn't want to pay $200 for the forward reverse swtich if it was ok. Please give me something to show them that it was their fault for not reconnecting the stop switch. They even missed it the 2nd time they had it. Thanks and any info is appreciated- a smart lady with a jerk mechanic- It's a Yamaha 36v G16

My forward/reverse switch went bad, I know a lot about my cart but at the time I didn't have time to troubleshoot so sent it to a mechanic. Before I sent it off I unscrewed the accelerator stop switch- checked fuses-solenoid and moved the batteries back to have a clear view of all wire. They bring a tow truck and I told them the stop switch was disconnected from where it belonged. A week later and $400 I got a new forward/reverse switch. Right away I had hesitation problems with it, that I did not have before. I called and they said "next week" we will come get and see. Before that I was driving up a hill I have driven for 7 years with my dogs attached, and smelled something burning so stopped and lifted the seat. The cable to the second battery got so hot it melted into the battery! They came right away, took me home and took the cart. Next day $300 for a new battery-said it was my fault as that only happens if you have a loose nut connection- I argued but they had me so I paid it. Right away same problems and the new cable got hot again-but not enough to melt the battery. I got to looking around and under the cart-there was my disconnected accelerator stop switch dangling down! I called them again and they agreed to come back at no charge.

I am not an idiot- I knew that the switch was causing the problems. Once the cart wouldn't go, I lifted the seat and found no problem-I was standing beside the cart with my dogs attached and turned the key and it TOOK OFF-I had to run to jump in and turn the key off to stop it. This happened one other time in reverse and I went over the hill across the street from house- The grace of God and me turning the key off and standing on the brakes stopped me before the big drop off. I was only driving it up and down my road to exercise my dogs while waiting for them to come back the 3rd time.

In the meantime I pulled the switch up threw the floor and when I moved it the cart would move on it's own- even if the key was off. They came and screwed the switch back in place-free- really! Thank you so much- What I want is my $300 back for when my battery melted- I just put 6 brand new batteries in over 3 months.

My point is IF they would have mounted the stop switch the first time-the second trip to rescue me with a melted battery would have never happened. They don't agree- but now they are willing to give me 1/2 my $300 back- NOPE I want it all. I have a meeting with the owner, mechanic and driver on Tues to settle this.
ckball is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
dbmachine
Gone Wild

Default Re: Being ripped off by mechanic-I know the problem but I am a woman- help please

Im still curious how the bad stop switch would cAuse the bAtts to drAw enough to melt the cables. I had a start/stop switch go bad on a gas cart before. It would make the generator spin and spin soon as you turned the key on.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Being ripped off by mechanic-I know the problem but I am a woman- help please

Sorry for your problems....All mechanics are not thieves , most are overworked under payed and very smart folks . Mistakes happen as in all ,mechanical situations. Keep your cool and be happy they will give you 1/2 back.......
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Welcome!!!As typical of the repair-business(and I mean no disrespect,this is my personal insite on this),there are Techs,and Mechanics...I consider a "Tech",someone who was trained for their job,and can't do much outside of their realm.I am a "Mechanic",I fix things,no matter how big or small,or how involved(most of the time I don't even have the luxury of manuals,diagrams,or scan-tools).These days,most people don't want to take the time to actually troubleshoot stuff correctly,they would just rather throw parts at it at the owners expense( I would personally install the switch,then test the cart for a while to make sure that fixed it,not just plug it in and say "All-Set!!".I see it every day at work,People spend hundreds at a dealer,and I find some little ridiculous problem that's repaired for almost nothing.Its getting hard to find decent Shops that can be trusted,no matter what they work on.I personally work on anything from a weedwacker to Semis,so I don't care about "just getting it to work"and getting paid,I want it perfect.Sorry for your bad experience,some of the Electric-Cart Gurus here may have some insite as to what to test if the switch is only part of the issue.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
ckball
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for your kind reply. I agree there are good mechanics and bad ones. My point was when it melted the battery I ask to go all over as a loose bolt was not the problem as the first time it got warm I check that and it was tight. The fact that I found the problem AFTER they had it the second time-tells me they did not go all over it or they would have found the disconnected switch. Once I pulled the switch up and kept it from dangling-the cart stopped hesitating. If it was your cart and they did this to you-what would you expect them to do?

That loose wiring was causing some sort of power surge-that is all I can say. Can't anyone explain what the purpose of the switch is and what happens when it is not engaged? That was the answer I was looking for- Thank you
Old 06-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #6
ckball
Not Yet Wild

Papabear- would you have given me the same reply if I said I was a man? Would you have settled for half when you know they screwed up TWICE- my cart has been at the shop for nearly 3 weeks total out of the month. My dogs are not happy either. I just want accountability They charged me $85 pick up fee both times- first time I am fine with-but after I saw they didn't reconnect important parts-that I have a problem with. I never said all mechanics are bad- just the one I have. They are a major tool rental company that sells and works on golf carts. This is a small town and only the one place that works on them-Thanks for your reply.

Tags
accerlator stop switch
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha