lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #1
gadavis
Gone Wild

Default Wiring for an Ez-Go 2002 series cart.

Good morning people. I am trying to help a friend with a cart he bought for his grand kids. The numbers from the tag are as follows; top line E-302. Second line; 14860686. Isn't this an 2002 model series cart?

The FNR switch post had burned off due to what appeared to be loose connections at the switch posts. He bought it from a friend of his after the P.O. had started and given up on replacing the switch. Wires were removed and of course not labeled. I traced and identified them and then replaced them as per the diagram for 2001 and later series carts I found on this site.

There is now no solenoid click when the accelerator pedal is depressed. I have checked the pack voltage and it is 37.5 volts. There is no click at the solenoid. The reed switch is good and I am getting voltage, (37.4) thru the red wire coming from it back to the micro switch #2 . I am going to start tracing other wires today.

My question is this, is there a flow chart of how the diagnostics for this system control wiring and a flow chart of how the current goes from batteries to the motor? I need to help him get this one running so the kids will let him alone. Summer is coming and those kids are about to foam at the mouth for it to be fixed!

T.I.A. for taking time to read and help me get him out of hot water.The closest good cart shop is about 30 miles.

Gene Davis
gadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Wiring for an Ez-Go 2002 series cart.

The manuf. code indicates it is a 2002, but the serial number doesn't return anything on the EZGO serial number lookup website. https://shop.ezgo.com/customer-servi...ialNumber.html

Here is a schematic with the solenoid activation circuit highlighted and a second one with the high current circuit highlighted. (F/R shown if F)

Get the solenoid to click when the pedal is pushed first and then troubleshoot further if need be.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks for the quick reply Johnnie B.

Looking at the ignition interlock switch at the charging port the switch is shown connected to the white charger input wire marked + in your diagram here. I am confused by what I am seeing when I test it. When I hook my Fluke 77 meter to it I should hook the black or common probe to the Neg.- post of the battery pack,right? Then I should touch the red probe to the wire coming from the interlock and thus get a pack voltage reading? This hook up shows no voltage. Now if I hook the red probe to the + post on the battery pack and touch the black or common probe to the wire I get pack voltage, (37.3). This is confusing me because in my mind it seems it is reverse of what I think I see on the diagram. Can you straighten me out on this?

Also I am getting pack voltage on all 4 post of the solenoid, large and small with the key on and accelerator pedal at rest. In my past experience this would mean the solenoid is activated and passing current to the load item. Is this supposed to be like this? I have some basic DC skills, but am confused by this at the moment and would appreciate you setting me straight on it. Thanks Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadavis View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Johnnie B.

1. Looking at the ignition interlock switch at the charging port the switch is shown connected to the white charger input wire marked + in your diagram here. I am confused by what I am seeing when I test it. When I hook my Fluke 77 meter to it I should hook the black or common probe to the Neg.- post of the battery pack,right? Then I should touch the red probe to the wire coming from the interlock and thus get a pack voltage reading? This hook up shows no voltage. Now if I hook the red probe to the + post on the battery pack and touch the black or common probe to the wire I get pack voltage, (37.3). This is confusing me because in my mind it seems it is reverse of what I think I see on the diagram. Can you straighten me out on this?

2. Also I am getting pack voltage on all 4 post of the solenoid, large and small with the key on and accelerator pedal at rest. In my past experience this would mean the solenoid is activated and passing current to the load item. Is this supposed to be like this? I have some basic DC skills, but am confused by this at the moment and would appreciate you setting me straight on it. Thanks Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
1. Sounds like the heavy wires from the charge receptacle to the battery pack are reversed. The white 8Ga wire should connect to the main positive terminal and the 8Ga black wire to the main negative terminal.

Unless otherwise stated, the black DVM lead should be connected to the battery pack's main negative terminal for all voltage readings.

2. Either the solenoid's small terminals are miswired or there is a broken wire. One of the black wires on the small terminal with two black wire on it, is connected to the B- terminal on the controller, which is in turn connected to the main negative terminal on the battery pack, so the solenoid's small terminal with two black wires should always read 0V since your meter is referenced to the main negative terminal on the battery pack.

--------
I've got to go get some blood drawn and then taking SWMBO to lunch, but I'll be back later today. Hopefully if you get those two wiring issues straightened out, the cart will come alive.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
gadavis
Gone Wild

Thanks Johnnie B.

I suspected the 8 gauge wires were reversed. they have not hooked a charger to it since this fiasco began. I will reverse the wires and put the white on the + and the black on the - posts of the pack. I will check out the solenoid wiring next and report back to you later today or tonight.

I too live with the blood drawing and do not like it. I have to have an INR(blood clotting time) test done at least once per month and sometimes it gets out of kilter and I have to have it done weekly,no fun! The curse of taking coumadin.

Take SWMBO to lunch and enjoy any time you have together, You never know what lies ahead with your partner.
My wife and I went bed Dec. 27, 2014 and she did not wake up again. She was diagnosed with Glioblastoma, an incurable brain tumor. She passed away Feb. 12 2015 after 48 years of marriage and it is really lonely at times now. Thanks again and will let you know what I find later.

Gene
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sorry to hear about your wife.. Condolences.. Please if you haven't already done so put the cart on jack stands so when it does finally go it doesn't run over anyone
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
gadavis
Gone Wild

kgsc.

Thanks for the condolences and the safety heads up. One of the first things I do when tinkering with a cart is put it on 4 jack stands. I don't like my toes getting run over. I did that on the first cart I messed with. A 3 Wheel Ez-Go that my late wife gave me for a birthday present in 1995. Less bending over that way also!

My wife and I were very close. We grew up in the same little one horse town and I had known her for almost 60 years. God says that we are not promised tomorrow and you think it will not happen to you, but it can. If you have someone you love and care about, always tell them so and never forget you might be with out them in the blink of an eye. Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Marcia and I are both in our 70's and know God can call either or both of us home at any moment, so we try to treat each other as if it was our last day together and for the most part we succeed.

Fortunately, it was just some routine lab work prior to a doctor appointment on Monday. The only blood thinner I take is a 81mg aspirin, however, I am a diabetic so I have to stab myself fairly often to check my blood sugar level.

I hate needles (my diabetes is controlled with pills and diet) and dread getting my blood drawn, but I got a really good phlebotomist today and barely felt it.

------------
Back to the cart. Get the solenoid clicking when the pedal is pushed and then we can troubleshoot the high current circuit if necessary.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
gadavis
Gone Wild

Hello again Johnnie B. Sorry for the delay. I had company for supper and they stayed till 12:15. I will be 77 this August and Georgia Ann would have been 72 this November. We had 48 very good years together. We agreed before we married to never go to sleep mad. We did have to stay up late a few times though!
My diabetic condition is regulated by two !/2 mg. pills and diet. I don't have to do the finger stick thing any more. The doctor checks my A 1 C count every 3 months and she tells me it is good and not to worry about it. The INR test is necessary because I take a blood thinner,(Coumadin),due to having had open heart surgery in 2009. I take an 81 mg baby aspirin daily also.

Now for the update on the cart. Putting the 8 AWG wires on the proper pack terminals did correct the polarity issue and also made the solenoid operate. The solenoid clicks and the wheels turn. They go backwards with the FNR switch in the forward position. I was hoping that it would require a simple swap of 2 wires to correct that, but alas no joy there. When I moved the FNR to the reverse position the small red 18 AWG wire that connects MS-2 and MS-4 went up in smoke as if it were a fusible link. I am attaching a diagram of how the wires are connected now. This info/diagram is from this forum taken from the thread titled: 2002 TXT 36 volt cart keeps blowing micro switches . I know the wires have to be wrong because of the events earlier. Thankful for the little red wire that vaporized and let me know there was a problem. Are the switch post location lettered reading from the rear or battery side of the switch, or they from the front side? I connected these as if it is reading from the rear. Excuse the dirty finger prints on the paper. feel free to tell me where I am wrong here. Thanks, Gene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img188.jpg (99.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like Georgia Ann was an Angel on Earth also, I suspect Marcia is, she has to be to put up with me.

The wire between MS2 and MS4 vaporizing may have taken out MS2 and/or the reed switch also. The only thing I can think of that would have caused it is a dead short to B- on the switched side of MS4. The red wire goes to the reverse beeper and the other side of the beeper is connected to B-. The orange wire connects to Pin-3 on the controller (1/2 speed reverse). You can leave MS4 disconnected for the time being. Cart will run without the beeper or 1/2 speed reverse.

Typically when the cart direction doesn't match the direction selector lever, swapping the S1 and S2 cables get then to match up. Or swapping the A1 and A2 cables will do it. However, if both sets of cables are swapped, the problem stays the same. The way is works is when the direction of current flows through the armature and field (stator) windings are in phase, the motor turns CW and when they are out of phase , it turns CCW. That means the cables on the F/R switch can be arranged in several ways and work. The way shown on the schematic is just one of the ways.

Looking at the studs the cables are attached tom the studs are labeled A thru D clockwise starting at the bottom. The reason the sequence starts at the bottom is the same f/r switch was used in Marathon carts and was mounted with the flat side up. When EZGO used the same switch assemble in the Medalist, they mounted it with the flat side down, but retained the original labeling.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO