lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
williams3324
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ Go speed upgrade

Ok, so I am new to the golf cart world. We own a 2002 series cart that I assume is bone stock. I am getting spanked by all my friends who have more speed AND torque! Please help!!!! What is the first thing I should upgrade to increase speed? The area we use the cart is somewhat hilly. I am able to go as fast as terminal velocity will allow while going down hill, but up hill is a different story!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
williams3324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ Go speed upgrade

You shouldn't really go as fast as possible down a big hill you can easily over Rev the motor.

You will need a new motor. There is no controller upgrade that will really make you faster for a series cart, so they tell me. You could go faster, if you really are really lacking on torque as you will gain some of your torque back to make full speed.

Larger tires will allow you to go a bit faster but you loose torque again with it. You could regear your rear end as well.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

going terminal velocity down hill is gonna blow your motor (and maybe controller). putting a speed motor in will help. next steps will be High Speed gears, increase voltage to 48v (which involves lots of parts/$$)..
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:55 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

as the sign on the speed shop says......"Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go". Its a true statement.....and how reliable do you want your cart after your upgrade. As there is a right way, and a wrong way to get your speed you are wanting and STILL have a reliable cart.

Your cart, on flat ground is topping out at roughly 13-14 mph.....so the question is back to the sign I mentioned above......how fast do you want to go.
Sir Nuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!

For a complete understanding of the basic differences in series and sepex drive systems & why the other carts may be faster by design and what is needed to make improvements to your cart go here > http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-upgrades.html

10 minutes of reading will have you sounding like the neighborhood expert & giving the answers to somebody else.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You can get a series drive cart to go faster by changing the final drive ratio (tire height plus differential gear ratio yields the final drive ratio), but when you go this route, you also reduce the torque available where rubber meets road.

Increasing the battery pack voltage (which requires a different controller as well as a solenoid and battery charger that match the higher voltage), you get an increase in both speed and torque. About 17% if you go to 42V and about 33% for 48V.

There are motors out there that will increase both torque and speed, but there are also motors out there that will either increase the torque at the expense of speed or increase the speed at the expense of torque.

The trick is to figure out what you want to cart to do and then pick upgrades that will reach that goal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Agreed Johnnie - it is so important to know what the performance goals are before the upgrades start in order to match all the components to the task at hand... with out a plan good plan... a builder could deliver a grass hut to Juneau
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
williams3324
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys!
williams3324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO