lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Bad back bearing?

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question but figured I'd get more opinions before I tear into it..1999 txt, was cruising yesterday stopped for a minute and set the p brake. Released the p brake and heard a loud pop from.back left tire area. Pressed on gas and sounds like the rod is spinning inside, nothing for it to catch to spin the wheels . Took the hub off and replaced it, same grinding noise so I'm assuming the bearing went? Thanks for the help guys!
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad back bearing?

Was the hub you replaced stripped? you say left side, do you mean drivers side? The Driver's side hub is the one that strips out most often, but I have actually seen a Passenger side hub strip out and stop a cart from running as well.

If the cart is moving and you are hearing the grinding noise, then yes, you most likely have a bad bearing.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yep drivers side, the hub wasn't stripped but replaced it anyways just to make sure. I can hand push the cart but definitely no power getting to the wheels
Old 06-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Check the P/S hub. A bad bearing will not stop the cart from moving usually. I have had one instance where I actually sheered the D/S axle right behind the bearing. This resulted in the axle shaft spinning like crazy (while making a racket) but the cart moving no where under power.

First step would be to jack up the rear of the cart and spin the P/S wheel and see if the D/S wheel spins the opposite direction. If it doesn't, pull the P/S hub and check the splines for obvious wear. If the Splines are good, pull the D/S hub and then pull the snap ring in front of the bearing and try pulling the axle half shaft out. If it sheered off like mine did, you will pull the bearing and part of the half shaft and then have to grab the remainder of the half shaft with pliers to remove it.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #5
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks I will check it out tonight once it cools off out there! Hopefully it's just the other hub and having me think it's drivers side but where's the fun in that!?
Old 06-16-2016, 03:50 PM   #6
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Went out just to check passenger hub my God I owe ya a beer! Stripped to no end just wild the sound was seriously coming from driver side that's why it never even occurred to me to check the other hub
Old 06-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If a hub is not stripped . You have a sheared input or intermediate shaft or a busted carrier is my guess. Bad bearings will still let it spin just loud. Now if the bearing welded itself up and no spinning , I don't think you'd hear the grinding as it would either allow the good side to spinoff or the motor couldn't overcome the friction of the tires and just not spin I would think.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelClayshulte View Post
Went out just to check passenger hub my God I owe ya a beer! Stripped to no end just wild the sound was seriously coming from driver side that's why it never even occurred to me to check the other hub
Sounds travel funny in these things. I know myself I have had the P/S hub strip numerous times and it always sounds like it's the D/S. Just make sure you tighten the Castle Nut Fully when you replace the hub, never back it out to allow the cotter pin to be put in place as that will result in the new hub being stripped fast......

Glad it was a simple fix for you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO