lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM   #1
myeallan
Not Yet Wild

Default Converting EXGO Marathon to 48V- options?

Hello,
I just acquired a donated 1990 Marathon (which I learned from the serial number on this site!!!).
It has new T105 6V trojans, which I can use for other projects, and I would like to covert 48V. It barely had enough power to back onto the ramps on the trailer

We will mostly take it camping to places that have hills and the family loaded in it. Eventually I would like to lift it with bigger wheels, but nothing crazy

I'm planning to upgrade to T875 Trojans for a 48V system. I have learned a lot from BGW so far, but looking to better understand my options. I think the motor is tired on a 26 year old cart. what other things need to be changed (i.e. speed controller, etc).

Appreciate everyone input, still learning.
Thx
myeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-24-2016, 01:00 AM   #2
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Converting EXGO Marathon to 48V- options?

I think something is wrong with the cart or batteries if with "new" batteries it can barely back onto the trailer.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
myeallan
Not Yet Wild

I cleaned all the cables, battery terminals and applied dielectric grease and it better now for sure, but still not the torque I'm looking for.

what recommendations on Motor/speed controller for this Marathon? From reading here I take it has series/resistor coil

Thx
myeallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #4
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A conversion kit from Scotty at carts unlimited would be a great start to the 48 volt upgrade. You could send the motor to plum quick for a rebuild or purchase a new one, but if you plan to go 48 volt I would go ahead and do the conversion.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #5
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by myeallan View Post
I cleaned all the cables, battery terminals and applied dielectric grease and it better now for sure, but still not the torque I'm looking for.

what recommendations on Motor/speed controller for this Marathon? From reading here I take it has series/resistor coil

Thx
Something is still wrong. My 7 year old batteries that would only charge to 80% would easily push my cart up a 35 degree or more ditch bank from a stop...so not being able to back up a trailer ramp I personally think there is a problem? But I am not an expert.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by myeallan View Post

Thx
The two possibilitys are resistor coil or controller, not resistor or series.

In any case, I'm with Clemson, new batteries should eazy push that cart up the ramps.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO