lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #1
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Cart won't run after cleaning batteries

I have a 1994 Medalist (series) converted to 48v with an Alltrax 4855 controller, HD solenoid, HD F/R switch, 2ga. cables, and 8 6v batteries. I have an issue with the cart not running after cleaning the batteries with baking soda and water or after washing the cart. It won't move until it starts drying then will move slowly and continues to regain speed until dry then runs fine. Any ideas where to start would be appreciated!
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2016, 07:38 AM   #2
harleychief
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart won't run after cleaning batteries

Don't spray water directly at the batteries or electronics. I'd suggest using compressed air to dry everything the next time you wash it.
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Something in the electrics is getting wet when you wash it. Either let it dry out before using or figure out what is getting wet and prevent it next time. Could be down by the pedal.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #4
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the quick replies! I try to be careful about spraying water under the seat and don't direct it at the controller or F/R switch. I thought the pedal box at first but it happens even when I don't spray the whole cart. If your not supposed to spray water on the batteries how do you clean them? I thought the baking soda bath was recommended.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The recommended way to clean batteries is with a solution of baking soda and water. The attached are cut&pastes from the service manual.

I use a 1Qt spray bottle and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda to a quart of distilled water. (The correct amount for a quart of water is 2 Teaspoons, but I like it a bit stronger.)

Note that the manual states to rinse with low pressure water. I use a 3/4" garden hose without a nozzle attached and the faucet not turned on fully. About 1 to 2 GPM. The 3/4" stream starts drooping as soon as it leaves the hose.

I use a non-metallic bristle pot and pan brush similar to the one pictured below to scrub with the baking soda solution and when rinsing it off.
------------
There is an inline connector between the pedal box and the control wiring harness that causes a lot of problems when it gets wet. Find it by following the gray cable coming out of the pedal box. Disconnect and clean with an electrical spray cleaner, re-connect with a dielectric grease on the pins and seal the connector with several wraps of electrical tape.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery acid neutralizing.jpg (206.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Baking soda mixture.jpg (62.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0f2fd132-275e-43a8-81a5-14ade8890377_1000.jpg (25.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I did mine just as you do johnny but way more water and baking soada. And just a light hose stream and I still had said problems. Will try and locate said connector and seal it. Better.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Spraying the batteries themselves should not cause a problem but if you get continuity to the frame due to the water and acid, that may make the controller act up. There should never be any continuity between the power circuit and the cart frame.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #8
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thanks for the info JohnnieB, I'll take a look at that connector this weekend.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Thumbs up Re: Cart won't run after cleaning batteries

I finally got around to cleaning and sealing the connector from the pedal box to the controller and yesterday washed the cart. I'm happy to report that the cart ran fine immediatly after the wash! Thanks everybody for the help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO