lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Powerwise charger issues even with new board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshawnj View Post
Thanks. Tried black wire solder point to multiple spots on heat sink plate. Where red wire connects to a wired slide terminal thing, tried the female spade at the end of the wire and the piece it attaches to, tried the top of the plate, also the extra plate where the diodes go through. All give me a zero.

The red wire touches the heat sink on a piece that looks like it is slid on. Should I try removing it to see if I can get a better connection or is it attached.
Hmmm. Maybe the problem is in the black wire to Aux contact side.

Let's start from square one.

Is the battery pack voltage is greater than 30V?

If so, connect your voltmeter's negative test lead to the battery pack's main negative terminal and touch the positive test lead to the heatsink. You should read battery pack voltage.

If you do read pack voltage, connect the positive test lead to the Red wire's solder joint on the board. You should still get pack voltage.

If you do, connect the positive test lead to the black wire's solder join. You should get Zero Volts. If you get voltage, the black wire or the third wire in the DC output cable or the auxiliary contact is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #12
Deshawnj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm glad it's not just me. This thing has been frustrating me for a while now.

At the main battery terminal on the pack I get 37.8, get the same number inside the charge port on the cart.

That's like what 90 percent charged?

Main negative and positive on heat sink 37.8

Main negative and positive on red solder joint 37.8

Main negative and positive on black wire solder joint gets 37.8 so that's wrong.

I get continuity from aux contact to the end of its wire a female spade, also to the black wire solder joint from the aux contact when it's connected. I can't tell if the contact itself is bad, but I opened the handle and made sure it was terminated securely beforehand.
Deshawnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me. This thing has been frustrating me for a while now.

At the main battery terminal on the pack I get 37.8, get the same number inside the charge port on the cart.

That's like what 90 percent charged?

Main negative and positive on heat sink 37.8

Main negative and positive on red solder joint 37.8

Main negative and positive on black wire solder joint gets 37.8 so that's wrong.

I get continuity from aux contact to the end of its wire a female spade, also to the black wire solder joint from the aux contact when it's connected. I can't tell if the contact itself is bad, but I opened the handle and made sure it was terminated securely beforehand.
What are the Ohms from the Aux contact to the black wire solder joint. Should be less than about 5Ω.

If you cannot find excessive Ohms in that wire run someplace, I'd just bypass the Aux contact and connect the black wire from the control board to the heavy gauge black wire where it connects to the center tap of the transformer secondary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW Charger Schematic - Aux contact bypassed.JPG (72.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Deshawnj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If I measure the ohms from aux contact to black wire solder point, I get zero. That is with the charger plugged in to nothing, because that's the only way to reach the little metal contact in the handle.

When you say center tap of transformer secondary I'm not sure where that is.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #15
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. If I measure the ohms from aux contact to black wire solder point, I get zero. That is with the charger plugged in to nothing, because that's the only way to reach the little metal contact in the handle.

2. When you say center tap of transformer secondary I'm not sure where that is.
1. That is as it should be, but it points to the Aux contact isn't making contact with the negative terminal in the cart's charge receptacle.

You've said another charger worked, but didn't say what type the other charge was, so it may be possible that the other charger doesn't sense the cart's battery pack voltage the same way as your Powerwise 28115 does.

Try cleaning the outside of the negative terminal in the charge receptacle.

2. The heavy black wire in the DC output cable bolts together with two wires coming out of the transformer. I don't have a good picture that shows the three wires connected, but in the attached picture the two heavy wires from the transformer are in the Red circle and the heavy black wire is hanging loose off to the left side.

Add a ring terminal to the black wire from the control board, bolt it together the three heavy wires and your charger ought to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powerwise charger 005 - edited.JPG (209.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Deshawnj
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You may be on to something. I used an old Lester charger for a Marathon with an adapter plug to fit the TXT style plug receptacle.

If I trace the wires in my carts receptacle the red wire has a male spade on it with nothing attached. The white and black go to the main negative and positive on the battery pack. Is that normal for the little red wire.

I'm just getting to cleaning the terminals in the carts plug receptacle.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO