lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Chins
Not Yet Wild

Default 09 RXV Speed Upgrade Question

Hi All,
First post. I have been reading through the forums to try and figure out what my upgrade options are but am left a little confused. I have a Danaher controller and was thinking that I could use the handheld programmer to speed up my cart. But in looking at the documentation for the handheld (RXV-Handset-Manual.pdf) on the fsip website it indicates the max speed option available is 14.5mph.
In reading some of the posts here I see that members mention a 19.6mph option or freedom mode, but the handheld documentation doesn't mention anything about it. So is the Danaher controller limited to only 14.5mph or is there a way to use the handheld to get it to 19.6? If not, should I consider a curtis or aftermarket controller?

Thanks,
Chins
Chins is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 09 RXV Speed Upgrade Question

Danaher equipped RXV's can be set to run 19.6 on standard tires using a handheld. I'm suspicious that all the handhelds are not capable. Might take a specific version. Wait for a tech to address this. Might have to take it to a dealer who might charge a fee.

Once set at 19.6, changing to 20" tires will allow speeds of ~22-23. No lift required.

Note: The procedure for Curtis equipped RXV's is a little different.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think it is a secret key combination knock you have to use on the programmer, and only works on certain higher level programmers (I have read the basic model programmer is just a code reader / reset tool) My used 2010 RXV was set to 14.5 mph when I bought it used, but the dealer was able to turn it up to 19.5 mph with his handheld programmer, it took all of about 30 seconds.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Chins
Not Yet Wild

Thanks all. Hopefully a tech can chime in. The only handheld I am aware of is the one on the fsip website. Are you thinking that it might not be capable of setting the speed to 19.5? Is there another handheld option available?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

the danaher handset is all the same as far as i know. its the curtis models that have levels 1-4 programmer. all Danaher controllers can be programmed to 19mph by the ezgo dealers.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
Chins
Not Yet Wild

This is where I am confused. I look at the fsip handheld instructions fsip.biz/Documents/RXV-Handset-Manual.pdf (page 10) and I only see the "Golf 4 - 14.5 mph" option. Am I missing something?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

yes, the 19mph freedom mode is locked and not visible until the code is entered. there is no "window" where the code is entered, you press the code in just after turning the key on.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Chins
Not Yet Wild

I think I get it. So I guess the 'code' is the thing I need in addition to the handheld. I assume it is just a sequence of keys on the handheld since there are no numbers or letters available. Is the code something I would need to purchase along with the handset?
Old 07-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is there a reason why you want to buy the $1,000 handset vs going to a dealer with one and paying $20, 50, 100 or maybe nothing to get them to hook up a handset and unlock the top speed?

As an owner of an RXV with a Danaher controller, personally I would invest in the $1,500 or so higher output 350 amp Curtis upgrade controller before spending $1,000 on the expensive Danaher handheld (the standard Danaher and Curtis controller is a 200 (225?) amp model).
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
cgtech

Yamaha

take it to the dealer to get code unlocked. should be fairly cheap. unless you are wanting to start working on rxv's, i probably not buy the programmer. the code is not for sale, likely no dealer will give it to you, only install it for you.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO