lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
goldenknight
Not Yet Wild

Default brake pad question

hey guys looking for a little help from the golf cart gurus. I am in the process of replacing my brake pads. I replaced one side and now am finishing the second wheel. A strange thing happened when putting the drum cover (not sure if that is what its called) on as it is hitting the lower part of the new pads. Do I need to do some type of adjustment? I can't really see what can I adjust to make the drum cover fit. any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an 83 marathon. (yes I know its old)

http://imgur.com/HVrhSKa
goldenknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: brake pad question

Kind of hard to tell anything from the pic. I'm guessing the pads are not centered in the drum. They may need to be adjusted. They should "float" some. When you try to put the drum on is there extra room at the top? Can you tap the pads up?
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

And those are shoes. I was confused when you kept saying drum thing? I was thinking maybe there is a dummy drum or something. But I can't tell? I'm with Hell rich the shoes just kind of float around till the drum is added to center them . Is the adjuster adjusted in to allow them to be smaller in diameter? It adjusts out with the old Shoes wearing and when new ones are put on they won't fit in the drum since the linings are thicker and not worn out.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The correct answer is the bottom end of the shoes are in an adjuster. There is a square head bolt on the back side. Rotate the square head bolt counter clockwise to allow the shoes to move toward the center of the wheel. If the shoes need a little help returning to center you can tap them with a clean rubber or plastic mallet.

Also it looks like you may need to tap the shoes up a little to get more center?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Helirich
Gone Wild

Let's see, I said they may need adjusted and they may need tapped. Clemson said they may need adjusted and they may need tapped.

I'm glad Scotty figured out the correct answer is they may need adjusted and they may need tapped.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
goldenknight
Not Yet Wild

quick question. finally got it back together based on the recommendations. Now the brake pedal requires me to press it all the way down and honestly it almost seems non responsive. I think I made things worse sorry, my question - do I need to do some type of adjustment to the brake line as well?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

You might to adjust the cables, Also break pads need to be broken in. Did just put new in pads in the drum, did you have them cut first?
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
goldenknight
Not Yet Wild

not 100% sure just took them out of the package and replaced them with the old ones. what exactly is required?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

A drum can be worn uneven it's a good idea to have them cut. Basically they are put on a lathe and small amount of metal is cut off. Thus getting rid of any uneven wear or grooves and returning them to nice smooth surface. Giving your new pads a new clean place to grab a hold of when you apply the brakes.

Break-in can depend on pad composition and everybody has there own theory to boot. Did the place you buy them from have any recommendations for break-in ?

When the pads or shoes have no instructions I follow the instructions for the EBC pads I use on my jeep. They call it bedding. And have it in their FAQ http://ebcbrakes.com/about-ebc/faqs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Now that the drum is on and before the wheel is installed.
Tighten the castle nut to 100 ft pounds.
Adjust the shoes out until they begin to drag on the drum as you rotate it. Access to the adjustment star is through the hole in the face of the drum. use a light and a smallish flat screwdriver.
Press the brake pedal hard 3 times. Turn the drum by hand.
If the shoe is dragging you will notice it only drags in one spot not evenly or all the time. I think it is because the drums are made to such low standards the center hole is off center, But it is consistent over hundreds of carts.
Anyway
Adjust the shoe out a little more until it takes a 5 pound effort to pass the drag spot. Pump the pedal 3 times and see if the drag stayed the same. If not re-adjust. Now you are ready for the cable adjustment. There are individual cable adjustments as well as a joint cable adjustment at the linkage equalizer where the 2 cables join up.
Inspect the equalizer and cables
If the cables & equalizer is loose adjust the equalizer. It is double nutted. Do not take all the slack out of the linkage. some is needed for the park brake release.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO