lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: ITS question

I'm very sorry, but I have no ideal of what your talking about.
I can wire a house and golf cart. I know anything about the electronic on the ITS or controller.

So speak slow I'm old and dumb.

Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #12
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
I'm very sorry, but I have no ideal of what your talking about.
I can wire a house and golf cart. I know anything about the electronic on the ITS or controller.

So speak slow I'm old and dumb.

Sonny
It's more or less a needlessly complicated voltage divider. The ITS changes voltage drop based on the core being inserted into the winding. The control reads that voltage input. Compared to a pot the signal out of an ITS is proportionally much lower than the input.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
It's more or less a needlessly complicated voltage divider. The ITS changes voltage drop based on the core being inserted into the winding. The control reads that voltage input. Compared to a pot the signal out of an ITS is proportionally much lower than the input.
Technically, the ITS sensor is a proximity sensor that draws proportionally more milliamps the further iron slug moved by the pedal is inserted into it.

There are two other parts to the ITS circuit, a power source and a detector, and both of them are located in the controller.

In all applications, all the ITS senor does is alter the current flow between the two wires connected to it, but when Curtis (and Curtis clone) controllers are used, the throttle input signal at the controller increases in voltage as the slug in inserted into the ITS sensor, while the voltage of the throttle input signal when Alltrax controllers are used, decreases.

Getting opposite results using the same ITS sensor is due to the Alltrax power source and detector being current based while the Curtis power source and detector are voltage based.

Therefore, whether an ITS sensor is a a "Voltage Divider" or a "Current Divider" depends on what controller it is attached to.

Attached are block and schematic diagrams of the ITS sensor as well as the Patent document, which includes a theory of operation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Block diagram.JPG (49.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ITS sensor - Schematic.JPG (88.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ITS Patent - 5247253.pdf (459.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Wohoo! Fun brain stuff to read over!

I haven't seen it used as a current divider before.

My main complaint about ITS is the mechanical flaw in it. Had a pedal box show up for repair once, the pedal itself was bent, which when aligned in the vehicle held the slug at a slight angle so it was just mashing into the side of the coil housing. So apparently the thought process was: since the pedal wont go down...step on it harder. Needless to say it tore the winding apart.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Wohoo! Fun brain stuff to read over!

I haven't seen it used as a current divider before.

My main complaint about ITS is the mechanical flaw in it. Had a pedal box show up for repair once, the pedal itself was bent, which when aligned in the vehicle held the slug at a slight angle so it was just mashing into the side of the coil housing. So apparently the thought process was: since the pedal wont go down...step on it harder. Needless to say it tore the winding apart.
Is that really a design flaw or is it operator error? If the operator had stopped trying to jam the pedal and investigated the problem, he would not have damaged the ITS.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Is that really a design flaw or is it operator error? If the operator had stopped trying to jam the pedal and investigated the problem, he would not have damaged the ITS.
A bit of both. But its not so much the ITS itself but the pedal box. would have been a good idea to put some guides on it to keep it centered with the opening.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO