lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
SmartKart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Would it hurt to double up the battery cables?

I have ordered a new set of 4 gauge cables to see if I could get any boost in speed or torque out of my 1994 Marathon. I have seen posts suggesting lowering the gauge even further. My question is.... and please excuse me if this has been asked before. Can you just put 2 cables (2,4,or 6 gauge) in place of the one cable between all the batteries? Would this have the same effect of allowing more current to flow to the motor?

-Tony
SmartKart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Would it hurt to double up the battery cables?

Electricity, much like water, will take the path of least resistance. While it will not hurt, the change in cables alone will not "do" anything for you if the existing cables are in good condition. Now, if the are corroded, partially failed, or otherwise sub-par, you will see an improvement. I would stick with one cable- if you do replace, I'd go 2 gauge (i did in fact) so that when you ever do upgrades you are ready for them.
BigDaddyChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The problem with this is getting a good connection at the terminals when doing this. I don't recommend doing it. Upgrade to 2 gauge if you like. More than that isn't going to do much.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Look at it this way. With twice as many cables you have twice as many connections and twice as many possible points of failure.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
BigDaddyChopShop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I have seen this done (lots) in Commercial HVAC applications, often because 2 smaller wires are cheaper than 1 large. There is a total of like what, 15' of cable in this cart? just do it right and once I guess is what I am saying.
BigDaddyChopShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartKart View Post
I have ordered a new set of 4 gauge cables to see if I could get any boost in speed or torque out of my 1994 Marathon. I have seen posts suggesting lowering the gauge even further. My question is.... and please excuse me if this has been asked before. Can you just put 2 cables (2,4,or 6 gauge) in place of the one cable between all the batteries? Would this have the same effect of allowing more current to flow to the motor?

-Tony
Well, like the guys said it's best to just run one set. There is too much opportunity for corrosion to set in or a connection to become loose or be damaged from over tightening when doubling up.
I used to see lots of carts running double cables when I was in the service business.
Welcome to BGW & Remember opinions are like MILs - everybody's got one
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #7
SmartKart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for all the responses. I'll still take other opinions... Totally understand the weight opinions carry: ) My jury is still out. I do have the 4 gauge set already and was wanting to see what the consensus thought was. I get the consensus so far to be less is more and bigger is better. I'll think this over. If I decide to go one route or the other I'll report back if there are any discernible results. At least I got my feet wet on my first post and the flak wasn't bad at all. I just might like it here.

Thanx

-Tony
Old 09-17-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll still take other opinions... Totally understand the weight opinions carry: ) My jury is still out. I do have the 4 gauge set already and was wanting to see what the consensus thought was. I get the consensus so far to be less is more and bigger is better. I'll think this over. If I decide to go one route or the other I'll report back if there are any discernible results. At least I got my feet wet on my first post and the flak wasn't bad at all. I just might like it here.

Thanx

-Tony
I'm in the "Can't Hurt" crowd that is as long as it does not cause any issues with bolting down... I ended up adding the 6 gauge cables back on top of my newly made 2 gauge cables as they were in like new shape and perfectly formed to drop right on. They did come in handy one day too! Working on a neighbor's cart and it needed a cable to make whole again...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
SmartKart
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice...didn't think of having spares for others:)
Old 02-10-2024, 11:13 AM   #10
Thomas965
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

-Tony
Putting in larger or even double battery cables lowers the resistance & slightly increases voltage/amperage getting through to the motor. This is especially important in carts with upgraded motors which typically draw more current. The bigger the battery cables [the lower the gauge] the better. As an aside, I also got 1-2 more mph out of my cart by increasing tire inflation which makes the cart roll with far less resistance where the rubber meets the road.
Thomas965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO