lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
jeepinrob
Not Yet Wild

Default LED Light bar with Voltage Reducer Wiring Install

Hey guys,

I've got a TXT that I am installing a Light bar on. I think I have my wiring right, I've wired one of these up before on my truck but it was a bit different.

The power to the switch gets run to the ignition(thats what I did on my truck) where can I connect that on the cart? to the voltage reducer Key output or do I have to connect the key output to the key and then connect that to the wire running power to the switch?

Here is my wiring diagram, so far I may have missed a few things doing it from memory:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiringDiagram.JPG (34.6 KB, 0 views)
jeepinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: LED Light bar with Voltage Reducer Wiring Install

is relay 12v ?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
jeepinrob
Not Yet Wild

Yes, when i tested the accessory output from the voltage reducer with my multimeter I didn't read anything. So I'm assuming my wiring is off somewhere
Old 10-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
jeepinrob
Not Yet Wild

Does anyone know how to test a voltage reducer to see if it's working correctly?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
mutley
Not Yet Wild

I'd say the wiring is incorrect.

If the voltage reducer is ONLY powering the LED light bar, then connect the light bar directly to the voltage reducer (with a fuse close to the reducer). Then connect the light switch to the Voltage reducers energizer input. There is absolutely no need for a relay if wiring like this.

If the voltage reducer is powering more than just lights, then you need a relay. You would wire everything up similar to your diagram, except the switch(s). Ignition switch goes to the voltage reducer energizer input. Light switch would be as follows. Power taken from the 12V output of the voltage reducer -> Light switch -> Relay -> ground.
Rest of your diagram is correct (except for fuses)

Here is one I quickly drew. (I forgot fuses, ignore the 100Ohm & arrow by the battery). This is if you have more than just lights off the voltage reducer.

1 fuse between battery and voltage reducer. (close as possible to battery)
1 fuse on +12v output of voltage reducer. (close as possible to voltage reducer)
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For starters, there is no ground in a cart for electrical safety and fire safety reasons.

The accessories should be the two wire type with an electrically isolated chassis so neither side of battery is connected to cart's frame or body and two wires (B+ and B-) have to be ran to everything.

If the voltage reducer has a remote on wire, it should be connected to switched battery pack voltage. You mentioned the cart was a TXT, so either the keyswitch or a separate toggle switch tied to battery pack B+ can be used to turn the voltage reducer on/off.

If you have other 12V accessories that you want to run when the lights are not on, you will need an additional switch for the lights, but might not need the relay. Depends on how many 12V amps the light bar draws.

To test a voltage reducer, connect the battery pack B+ and B- to the Battery pack input wires and battery pack B+ to the remote on wire. you should now have +12V and -12V on the output wires.

What is the make/model of the voltage reducer?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO