lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Default Engine whine and spin up, voltage drop

So recently, and predominantly going uphill or under quite a bit of load) my motor will start to make a fairly loud whine. Nothing really happened, speed and torque (under an Alltrax 500XCT) never changed, just the sound...until yesterday.

Very slight uphill, not even maybe 1%, but not level ground, me and three kids in the cart. Starts making the sound but then i notice it is not accelerating as fast as it normally does, sounds like the motor is spinning up and the voltage is dropping. Like its dumping all its power to try and spin the motor as fast as possible with little output to the drive. I immediatley stopped, smelled something i havent smelled before and think i over RPM'd the motor, drove the rest of the way home at 1/4 throttle trying not to burn it out.

So my question is, where should I start looking? Im about to take off the differential cover and look at the large gear (took the plug off and no oil in there). but if that gear isnt stripped, could one of the small ones on top be? and can I get to those without taking the rear end off? I can just see my cart being on jacks for the next month if i cant figure this out! uggghh
bjbbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Engine whine and spin up, voltage drop

I would look for motor overheat damage.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Ya but I also need to find what caused. Doesn't do me any good to not find the root cause. So while I am digging into this thing (already have the hubs off, not stripped) how do I determine if there has been damage to the motor?
Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sniff it. If it smells roasted it is. Could need brushes also but I would have it serviced.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

i pulled the passenger side axle. no wear in the spline that goes into the diff. the driver side axle should come out just as easy right? because i am pulling with all ive got and its not budging.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

not always..... The bearing on the Drivers side may have gotten stuck in the housing. I have had carts that required a slide hammer to remove the axle because of this type of issue.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Got it free. Also removed the oil pan. Not one stripped gear or spline and axles are intact. Where does that leave me? A smoked motor?
Old 10-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would pull and disassemble the motor. Inspect the commutator and brushes. Sounds like a motor problem to me.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #9
bjbbiker
Getting Wild

Is motor removal pretty straight forward ? Just remove the cables and the mounting bolts and slide it out? Also, do the castle nuts that go on the hubs require specific torque?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Motor slides out when mounting bolts are removed but it can be stuck on there sometimes. There are plenty of threads here on removing the motor. Some are not pretty. :-(
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO