lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerwise charger problem or normal?

I've got a 98 TXT and the charger has seen better days but it does or at least did work. This is a 36v cart.

I have new batteries and drove around 2 miles today in some pretty big hills trying to test the cart out with new mods. Since I'm taking it somewhere tomorrow, I wanted to top off the batteries. After driving around, the battery pack showed 37.2v. When I hooked up the charger, nothing happened...no clicks, no short hum, nothing.

The battery pack has been allowed to sit for a while to stabilize and now reads 37.9v so I'm less concerned about the pack going dead tomorrow but I am still a little concerned about the charger. I would've thought it would try to charge the batteries at least for a couple seconds.

edit: The fuse does have continuity across it.
jfw432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Powerwise charger problem or normal?

Well as many of you may have suspected, it was the relay. I checked it last week when the connector corroded off the capacitor and it was fine. Now it's burned to a crisp so I guess I'm ordering a new circuit board.

Anyone know if it's ok to charge the batteries once or twice with the relay bypassed or does bypassing the relay prevent the charger from stopping?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
Well as many of you may have suspected, it was the relay. I checked it last week when the connector corroded off the capacitor and it was fine. Now it's burned to a crisp so I guess I'm ordering a new circuit board.

Anyone know if it's ok to charge the batteries once or twice with the relay bypassed or does bypassing the relay prevent the charger from stopping?
Yes it's ok to bypass the relay for a few times while waiting on your new relay. The charger won't stop on it's own so stay close to it once it's charged to unplug it.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
jfw432
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Yes it's ok to bypass the relay for a few times while waiting on your new relay. The charger won't stop on it's own so stay close to it once it's charged to unplug it.
Thanks. I didn't take any chances last night and checked it every 15-20 minutes until the amps dropped down to almost nothing. Good to know though.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You could have left it on charge until the battery pack's on-charge voltage climbed to 45V, or left it on charge for up to about 16 hours.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO