lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
cdrome
Not Yet Wild

Default Speed controller check

On my EZ GO Curtis 73144G01 controller, you mentioned in a previous post that I may have fried it when I lowered the voltage to 24 volt for the grandkids.
Before I spend the money on a new controller, how can I be sure that is the problem?
With everything hooked back up I press the accelerator and the solenoid does not kick in. When I put voltage directly to the solenoid it does engage so that tells me the solenoid must be good.
Is the solenoid energized from the controller or pedal box?
How do I test my controller or is that just the most likely part to fail with low voltage?
Pedal box and motor could still be good right?
Thanks for your time and patience,
Carl
cdrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed controller check

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrome View Post
On my EZ GO Curtis 73144G01 controller, you mentioned in a previous post that I may have fried it when I lowered the voltage to 24 volt for the grandkids.
Before I spend the money on a new controller, how can I be sure that is the problem?
With everything hooked back up I press the accelerator and the solenoid does not kick in.

1. When I put voltage directly to the solenoid it does engage so that tells me the solenoid must be good.

2. Is the solenoid energized from the controller or pedal box?

3. How do I test my controller or is that just the most likely part to fail with low voltage?

4. Pedal box and motor could still be good right?

Thanks for your time and patience,
Carl
When you ask controller questions, please identify which drive system. You have a DCS.

Part# 73144G01 comes up with a blank on the EZGO website since it was replaced with later versions. I believe the last version of the Curtis 1206SX sold by EZGO was 73144G06 and even it isn't listed.

Answering your questions:
1. That tells you the solenoid's coil is good. The solenoid's contacts may still be bad.

2. Both.
Energizing the solenoid is a two step process. First you have to get B+ to on side of the coil and then the controller supplies B- to the other side of the coil when the pedal switch tells the controller to do so.

3. If the controller does not energize the solenoid when the pedal switch tells it to (and the other preconditions are met) then the controller is bad.
The preconditions are:
a. Charger not plugged into cart.
b. Keyswitch = ON.
c. F/R lever in either F or R.

4. Most likely they are.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO