lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Is it any better now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
I'm here!!Where do you want help?The axle can be relocated by having new holes punched in the springs,or build different length springs.The tie-rods can be cut in half,insert a cold-roll rod(at least 1" inside each half)with a gap in between the halves to correct your length.Shock-mounts are easy,Ez-Go uses a stud-mount shock,so just get some 1/4"x 1-1/2" steel flat-bar,figure out your location and length,bend about 1-1/2" of one end 90-degrees,and drill a hole in it for the shock-stud.Then weld the other end to your axle-housing.How come you said the springs can't be removed?Why can't you use bigger tires?Let me know,Hope this helps.
Ya and what do you know about suspension? almost done
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #22
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK, first things first...
I wanted to know if I could drill new location holes in the front of the spring. I need to move it back. I'd like 1 1/4". I have room to do this, but wasn't't sure how hard leaf springs were. Can I get them puched at about any spring shop?

I can remove the springs but I can't replace them with new ones. Check the pic of the light bar and garage door header. I have less than 1/2" to play with. I figured on a chunk of box tube for shock mounts. Heck, anything will work....
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #23
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You can't drill the springs,they need to be punched.If you know someone thats good with a plasma-cutter,Its' a one-shot deal,due to the heat.Have them pop the hole as clean as possible.Do Not cool the spring after the cut,let it air-cool.Hope this helps.And for JC-Extreme....I Know Nothing about Suspension,I just guess!!!!:lhmo :
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, I no longer have access to a plasma cutter, so it looks like I need to find someplace to punch them. Besides a diamond tip drill, all I have is an oxy-acetylene torch for making holes.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You could torch the holes,but only if you are very good at cutting a round hole very quickly.If you have a small tip on the torch(o thru 2)don't bother trying,it will take too long to heat the spring before piercing it.Also set the Oxy pressure to 40psi,Acty. to 12-14psi.(much hotter,also prevents blow-back).Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #26
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, that's a lot more gas than I usually run! 6-8 acetylene, 25 oxygen. I'll have to check and see if I still have a #3 laying around. I don't really need anything that big anymore.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #27
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

I'm so F'ing confused

Are you making this 4x4?
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #28
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes. That is indeed the plan!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #29
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Rad - that's got to be an undertaking..
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #30
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, against all advice to the contrary, and my own better judgement, I drilled new location holes in the springs and moved the axle back an inch and a half. The thought of possibly overheating the steel and ruining the temper( with my torch) made me decide to try it. Knowing the sag of the old springs is the only reason the cart will fit under the garage door header, I did NOT want to have to purchase new ones only to have them de-arched. I figured I had nothing to lose but a drill bit and some spare time. I followed the stainless drilling protocol, i.e. drill slow and keep it flooded with oil. I managed to get through without causing hard spots. I did have to stop several times to hone new "wings" on my drill bit, as they kept breaking off. It sucked, but I made it!

The rearward move took a lot of the bind off my steering assembly. Turning radius is much improved now! It still isn't anywhere near as good as the factory 2wd axle, but it's better than it was! Since the axle moved back, I had to pull my tie rod ends in quite a bit from where they were. So, there's a lot more reassurance that they won't strip the tie rod hole and fall out. I am very happy about that!

Before:

After:

The addition of a pair of 3" shock stud extenders from NAPA allowed me to utilize the old spring locating holes as my new shock mounts. The angle is perfect and even the bushings are worn to almost the exact angle for a perfect install. It isn't very often that the stars align for this kind of easy assembly of a custom project!

From the profile, the cart looks a lot less goofy with the axle tucked closer to the body.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO