lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
mtpolarbear
Polar Bear wild to you...

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Electric cart for farm work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There is a difference between moving a trailer and mowing a filed ... I think he will have heat problems related to the additional loads and low speed and long operation time. That is why I advise against it.
Would a low speed/torque motor with tall gears help him?
mtpolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

sure
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
matthewf13
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
sure
The mower i estimate should weigh about 350 pounds..I'm thinking if I go for it I would put a 500+ motor and controller along with bigger batteries and all the other upgrades that are required for running the extreme torque.

Scotty..What are you thoughts? even with the baddest motor and controller I can get with the lowest gears would you still suggest against it?
matthewf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I would try it but, it's an experiment as far as I can see... you are going to spend as much as you could on a riding mower that's made for the job.
Maybe somebody else who is towing a mower with an electric cart will chime in with some real experience not conjecture.

My next thought is if you build a cart that is over-rated enough to be reliably towing a mower over acre and acre, hours and hours ultimately, then you might have a cart that has a top speed of 10 mph. I dunno... I never tried it.
But I fixed lots of carts that towed stuff.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #15
matthewf13
Not Yet Wild

Riding mowers cut too low - a maximum of 3 1/2 inches. For pastures you have to be able to cut more around 5 inches to be able to maximize grazing longevity.

Its an idea... it would cost me over 3000 dollars for a nice atv and more around 2200 for the golf cart upgrades.
matthewf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewf13 View Post
Riding mowers cut too low - a maximum of 3 1/2 inches. For pastures you have to be able to cut more around 5 inches to be able to maximize grazing longevity.

Its an idea... it would cost me over 3000 dollars for a nice atv and more around 2200 for the golf cart upgrades.
That's a job for a brush hog.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I would try it but, it's an experiment as far as I can see... you are going to spend as much as you could on a riding mower that's made for the job.
Maybe somebody else who is towing a mower with an electric cart will chime in with some real experience not conjecture.
My next thought is if you build a cart that is over-rated enough to be reliably towing a mower over acre and acre, hours and hours ultimately, then you might have a cart that has a top speed of 10 mph. I dunno... I never tried it.
But I fixed lots of carts that towed stuff.
Well, not "exactly" related but real world experience nonetheless...

I used to "mow" about +/-2.5 acres with a Bush Hog GT42 behind a resistor cart. I knew the resistors would heat up, but (or so I thought) with the proper throttle control, i.e. WOT, off, WOT, off, etc. I got the job done (again, or so I thought).

Did I mention that the local rural VFD showed up an hour or so after I finished one day???

Speaks to low speed amp draw..... ...and, in my case, a return to the tractors IC engine.

Good luck in your endeavor!
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
Stephen R Campbell
Not Yet Wild

It does not work. I used a farm harrow with two cinder blocks. It will run for about a 30 minutes before the batteries over heat and the cart stops working. I only got half of the infield done on a ball diamond before I had to bring in my truck to pull the rest of the diamond.

I was thinking of a small gang reel maybe a 3 reel anything else would be too much. But I think you would run into the same problem of the battery over heating.

I can drag the whole diamond on a very light drag matt. But a single harrow was just too much for the batteries. It did however pull them with no problem weighted.
Stephen R Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #19
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Zombie thread!
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #20
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

To get the torque down to where you are going to probably want it take a look at Axle Incs 2 speed rear axle, here is my build thread. A stock EZGO is 12.44:1 gear ratio and the Axle inc ratio can switch from a high ratio of 10:1 to a 20:1 torque monster.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO