lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
mikim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 36v CC troubleshooting with DVM

Using a DVM is 19v a good reading when reading through the motor? S1 - A1 and S2 - A2 both get me 19v with batteries disconnected. I replaced batteries and now am not getting any response from the throttle. I suspect the solenoid ...maybe...but still checking. It just confused me when I got a voltage reading with no power applied. I'm assuming it's coming from the DVM? ....it's a 2002...V glide
mikim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v CC troubleshooting with DVM

Put a fresh battery in the meter - they give crazy readings when the battery gets low
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:24 AM   #3
mikim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

DVM has a new battery....just for the life of me can't figure out where that 19v is coming from. On DC voltage scale it shouldn't be using the battery anyway. It's mainly for continuity checking. Going to tear it all apart this a.m. -- how do I check the solenoid for operation?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

That's what the book of the meters say. I was getting wild readings when checking my battery pack. Turns out a new 9 volt battery in my meter and everything was fine. Bye I have the old fluke 77. I know you have a new battery in your meter. I'm just saying the meter battery effects more than just the diode check etc.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If you are reading voltage where no power exists you have a meter problem. Here is the solenoid check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid 09-14jpg.jpg (230.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

DVM uses the battery on Volts as well as on ohms. Many cheapo DVM's get way inaccurate when the battery gets low. Good ones stop working instead. Remember that a DVM will measure voltage through a high (leakage) resistance so even if you read good voltage it may sag to nothing under load if you have a bad connection or a bad battery.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

There was another thread a little while ago about reading voltage measured to the frame. This is probably the same thing. It's caused by leakage currents measured in micro amps. Nothing to worry about. Worry about the voltages you have with the cables connected.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I was going to post the same thing about DVMs and how "floating" inputs can cause false or "ghost" readings when I noticed You said it is a 36v coil cart...
Did you also disconnect the 2nd positive lead? otherwise that is probably where your 1/2 pack voltage is coming from....
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I was going to post the same thing about DVMs and how "floating" inputs can cause false or "ghost" readings when I noticed You said it is a 36v coil cart...
Did you also disconnect the 2nd positive lead? otherwise that is probably where your 1/2 pack voltage is coming from....

Sherlock Holmes would be proud
Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
mikim
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thank you scottyb for that solenoid check. seems I may have multiple problems. The key switch is bad..I hot wired it for now...the 19v is coming from that mid pack green connection....but it is getting through the F/R switch to the motor and ends up on speed switch side of the solenoid. All the connections at the resistor assy read 19v. I get it across the purple / brown connections at the F/R switch. I don't understand what I don't know about this thing and it's driving me nutz. Thank you all for all the suggestions. I'll take any / all help I can get.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car