lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Batt Charger Input Term Meanings (Help)

Ok....I'm going to purchase a good (likely a Honda as I need\want it by tomorrow) generator to plug in my battery charger for my 48-Volt charger. Now, the reason for this is because I'm going deer hunting up north next week, and the a few weeks after I'm going bear hunting. Both of these "ventures" require that my EZ-GO will be chugging up a very steep mountain. (Yes....we are not talking a hill....but a mountain.) Now, I've chugged up these mountains before, and know the cart's limitations....("A Cart's got to know it's limitations....C. Eastwood ) ....So, I figure that there will be times when the cart is just hanging out....like when I'm eating lunch 'n what not...for an hour where it can take on a charge. But I will need a portable generator to do that.

So, my current charger says this on the "input" stuff:

120Vac
10Aac
60Hz

That's all it says. Now, my Son....who is an Engineer, tells me that his experience has been to go with either a Honda or Yamaha as these generators put out the most reliable steady stream (my words...not his) of electrical energy. No spikes or reduced power that will at some point cause havoc with my "stuff." He also states that I should be looking at the Honda "2000" series equipment as that will suffice for what I need. The output spec's are:AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)

So....does this sound right?

I know nothing when it comes to amps, watts, or Hz. Bra sizes I'm Ok with.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Batt Charger Input Term Meanings (Help)

Your charger requires:
120 volts of alternating current.
(House current)
10 amps may be drawn from said 120vac supply at 60 cycles per second. (hertz)

Since the specs say 13.3a can be drawn continuously, looks like you'll be fine, as long as your supply and demand specs are as advertised.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks Kab. What you have said makes sense to me. OTOH....I would not be able to repeat it again without looking at this post.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not a problem, buddy. Now here comes an expert to explain why I'm wrong in : 5... 4... 3...

Haha!
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You will be fine with the Honda 2000. I have a Honda EU1000i inverter genset that I've charged my old golf cart with. It would work IF I charged for a while with an old antique military generator first, to get the charge rate down a bit. Then, the Honda would pull the load OK.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO