lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Batteries test good but light randomly comes on.

I have a 2011 Precedent with 2013 batteries. I just purchased this cart. I fully charged the cart, disconnected the charger and waited 8 hours. Each battery tested at 8.4 volts with a total pack charge of 50.4. I know the max should be 50.9, but for 2 year old batteries I thought 50.4 was ok for what I paid for the cart.

Last night I took the wife out to dinner and sat at a table where I could see the cart (anti theft seating). The cart was in neutral and the key was in the off position. While we were eating I noticed the battery warning light came on. It stayed on for a while and then went out. While driving back home it also came on a couple times. When we got home I immediately tested the pack and it read 50.2 which seems normal to me.

Does anybody know what could cause the light to come on like that. My connections in the battery compartment are very clean. It does still have the stock wires though which will be upgraded to 2 awg soon.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
shaanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
cmalberto
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Batteries test good but light randomly comes on.

So I think the next thing to do is to test each battery under load. I don't remember what range they should be but I would start by looking for consistency across each battery. Also look in the sticky section - I thought there was thread on batteries.

By the way - I need to do the same thing....I just have found a dry/warm enough day yet to go do it.

Hope that helps.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I will give that a try. Its really baffling me.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #4
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Make sure all cells have proper whater levels. My cart did this before and I checked water levels and one cell in a battery was really low. I filled it up and it never did it again. Weird yes I would agree.
mymonstertruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any time that you unplug the charger and the batteries aren't completely charged the light will flash. You've got a bad battery in the pack somewhere. That's why you only read 50.4 volts.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymonstertruck View Post
Make sure all cells have proper whater levels. My cart did this before and I checked water levels and one cell in a battery was really low. I filled it up and it never did it again. Weird yes I would agree.
Thanks and I will double check it.

This cart I just got has the hydrolink system. I have never had this before. If I buy the pump do I still need to actually open each cell or can I be sure they will fill evenly? On my older carts I always used a funnel so I was opening each cell on a regular basis.

Thanks again
Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

I like to fill by opening the caps. I had the hydrolink as well but a visual check is always the best. I wish the battery manufactures would make clear battery tops. So you wouldn't have to open the caps.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Any time that you unplug the charger and the batteries aren't completely charged the light will flash. You've got a bad battery in the pack somewhere. That's why you only read 50.4 volts.
I hear that, but the light doesn't flash like it describes in the manual. It is completely random both for when it comes on and how long it stays on. One thing I have found is that if the light turns on while I am driving or sitting, I can turn on the headlights and the battery light will turn off. Then later it randomly turns back on. Its strange. Thanks and I will triple check each cell but every time I put the meter on them they are all equal.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
shaanar
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymonstertruck View Post
I like to fill by opening the caps. I had the hydrolink as well but a visual check is always the best. I wish the battery manufactures would make clear battery tops. So you wouldn't have to open the caps.
I opened them all and the water level was spot on, but the plates looked pretty fuzzy. I am guessing the previous owner did not read and follow the battery advice on BGW. Oh well I will save the pennies and get new batteries as soon as I have enough saved up for one of those packages scottyb has. These will keep me limping for now. Thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #10
mymonstertruck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Once fully charged unplug the charger from the cart for 30seconds and plug it right back in. This will do a equalization charge on the batteries and clean the plates. This might help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car