lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2016, 10:40 PM   #1
sethdw
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery Charging Issue?

Hey everybody!

I've been cruising this forum for the past few weeks and finally decided to become a member. I'd been wanting a golf cart for some time, and a coworker actually gave me one he said only needed batteries. Well I read as much as I could, formulated a plan, and put some time in it, and now I was hoping I could reach out for some help. The cart is a 94 Club Car DS. Sorry in advance for the lengthy post, but I figure details are helpful.

My friend said about 9 months ago, the cart would run about 2 minutes before becoming very slow and eventually dying. He wasn't ready to put batteries in it so he parked it, unplugged, for about 9 months. I tried plugging it up. The charger came on (hum) and I could hear the timer chugging along. The needle "flinched" but kept a reading right at 0.

I'd read you needed a minimum charge on the batteries for a charger to operate correctly, and I'd also read that you may be able to put some new life into old batteries, if only temporarily, with distilled water and Epsom salt. The tops of the plates in 5 of the 6 batteries were exposed so I made my mixture of Epsom salt and distilled water and topped them all off. I rocked the cart back and forth after. I then put a 12V charger (10 A charge) on two batteries at a time. I have 5 of 6 of the batteries reading between 5.5 and 6.25 volts. One battery will only read about 2.5V (it was the only one without exposed plates to begin with - I poured about half the acid/water out and added new distilled water/Epsom salt and tried again with no luck). Across the entire bank I'm reading just over 25V. I tried plugging the golf cart charger back in with the same result as before. I also tried to move the cart with no luck.

The back up alarm will sound, but when the pedal is pressed, the sound becomes diminished and "wavy" sounding. I guess my question is, would the one battery be enough to drag me down? Any suggestions? I just didn't want to put $600 worth of batteries in the thing if they weren't the issue.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Seth
sethdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Battery Charging Issue?

The batteries are about as dead as they can be. They are gone gone gone. Sounds like the cart would run if you put new batteries in it. Do not put starting batteries or marine batteries in it. They will not work. Get golf cart batteries and enjoy your cart.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #3
sethdw
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response. And not questioning the advice, more asking for my own curiosity, what indicates the 5 batteries are dead?

Also, any recommendations for batteries? Or best place to buy if not local?
Old 11-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

image.jpeg
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
sethdw
Not Yet Wild

Good stuff. Thank you sir.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

w
Quote:
hat indicates the 5 batteries are dead?
When you said that you poured half the acid out and added distilled water of the one battery and added Epsom salts to the others. Also it won't move but briefly.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car