lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 48v to 12v Converter/Reducer

Take the pack positive and the pack negative, energize your reducer from that. At that point you have 12 volts to do whatever you want with the 12 volts.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

basically if you hook up more than just lights and maybe a radio or usb port to a reducer, you want a fuse block for all your devices to go through. a lot of reducers can't handle much more than lights and 1 or 2 more things on it
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #13
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

With an OBC you need to connect the reducer 48v. neg. to the controller's B- lug. If you connect it to the pack neg. you'll screw up the charging.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #14
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Good point Tag. Was not sure about that and glad you chimed in. Just trying to help overall. Different on different models/years. Although, if it is turned off by a switch, how does the OBC know it's there if connected to pack negative?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #15
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
With an OBC you need to connect the reducer 48v. neg. to the controller's B- lug. If you connect it to the pack neg. you'll screw up the charging.

yeah that is a good point tag, I didn't know that either. I swear a few months back I had a 48v ds in the shop with a reducer hooked to pack neg and pos? When you say screw up the charging do you mean it won't charge or something less obvious?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #16
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Good point Tag. Was not sure about that and glad you chimed in. Just trying to help overall. Different on different models/years. Although, if it is turned off by a switch, how does the OBC know it's there if connected to pack negative?
lol that's assuming he buys a reducer with a key switch wire but i know what you mean
Old 03-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #17
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm just repeating something Sergio said. The OBC monitors pack use by the neg. cable that passes through it and "tells" the charger when stop. Any use that isn't "seen" by the OBC results in a short charge.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #18
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
I'm just repeating something Sergio said. The OBC monitors pack use by the neg. cable that passes through it and "tells" the charger when stop. Any use that isn't "seen" by the OBC results in a short charge.

Hmm thanks for that tip, for good measure I will be using the b- on the DS for now on
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Now I'm confused. There is not any "use" with the reducer turned off, unless it somehow, from the non-energized reducer goes back through pack negative? The only thing connected is the negative from pack to (non energized) reducer.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #20
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I see what tag is saying, or more like what Sergio said. I will however say I have seen a few 48v DS carts with their reducers hooked to pack voltage with no complaints of charging issues so...but running it to b- instead is not a bad idea
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car