lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Safest Charger Port Location ?

The charger port for my 1998 Cushman Hawk 48v (8 x 6v) utility cart is located between the two banks of batteries, about 4 inches away from the nearest battery vent cap. From what I understand, this location is a factory install (see photo below).

I am aware of the “risk” of vented hydrogen catching fire in the right circumstances (flammability limits of hydrogen are 4% to 75% volume of hydrogen in air at atmospheric pressure) and as such I perform charging in a well vented area. As another precaution, I also disconnect the 120v AC input plug of the charger first before disconnecting the 48v DC charge plug, to prevent an electrical arc (potential ignition source) when disconnecting from the cart. This is especially important if I have to disconnect in the middle of a charge cycle (when the batteries are heavily gassing hydrogen).

This being my first “electric cart” and being a “non-golfer”, I am not familiar with where other cart charge plugs are located in relation to the cart batteries. Based on your experiences, is the location of my 48v DC charger plug in close proximity to my batteries an acceptable installation? How are other carts set up? Has anyone experienced a “hydrogen ignition / explosion” on their cart before?

An interesting video on exploding hydrogen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOTgeeTB_kA

Regards, 3CW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6439.jpg (170.3 KB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: Safest Charger Port Location ?

Any feedback on if my charger port location is acceptable as per today's standards?
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I also use the SB50 connector for charge connection. Simply turn off the charger disconnect AC and then pull the pug to disconnect. Reverse operation for connection. You should be ok
Alternatively if the charger is on board and connected constantly you will be connecting AC outside of the cart to initiate the charge
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
jasonmbraun_pargo_owner
Not Yet Wild
Pargo

i have a dryer plug in port i can use my lestronic II and i works fine
I hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170701_181920.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_163407.jpg (96.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_163416.jpg (102.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_163420.jpg (99.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20170707_163433.jpg (129.9 KB, 0 views)
jasonmbraun_pargo_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts