lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
rookie68
Not Yet Wild

Default fast electric on a budget. best base cart to buy

Im a rookie haha what would the best base electric cart be. Or cheapest? Looking to build a 40-50mph electric cart on a budget
rookie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: fast electric on a budget. best base cart to buy

well you have a few contradicting statements going there.....what would the best base electric cart be and what's the cheapest.....can't be the same thing.

and as far as building a 40-50 mph electric cart "on a budget" ..... hope your budget is a good sized one!!! LOL

OH BTW......CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

MAGIC FRIDGE.jpg

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Fast & cheap don't really go together - particularly in the electric cart world. So far as what's best? Find one you like the look & feel of (driving position etc). I don't know that it will matter much what brand it is to begin with because to get anything close to that kind of speed you will pretty much gut it and start over with pretty much all aftermarket upgrade parts. By the time you get done with motor, controller, solenoid, batteries, cables and probably a gear set - you'll have several grand in modifications on top of whatever base cart you start with.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Raystar57
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't buy budget disc brakes for a 50MPH cart!
You will need disc brakes for sure and a solid rebuilt suspension.
I would not lift it much as it can be unstable a high speeds.

As far a brands, it's kinda up to you on the style you like. They all can be made faster.

I would stick with CC, EZGO or Yamaha with a 48 volt drive system.
Raystar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
crash test dummy

50 mph ?? ahh an organ donor ...
Old 08-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
rookie68
Not Yet Wild

Do all those parts come in a kit or do I need to research all the individual ones. Was hoping there was a guru who has already done a hundred of em lol I appreciate all the in put I can get you all seem knowledgeable.. I guess by on a budget I don't care what it looks like. And does not have to be the best of everything. But I can afford good parts . If there is a kit anyone knows of for the motor controller ect let me know
rookie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are kits of a sort where you can get many of those needed components together, so you know they are going to work together. There are also some you can do a bit at a time - including some parts that are compatible with either 36 or 4 volts. You can begin an upgrade knowing that the parts you buy and use now will work with the rest of what you have planned for the future. A good person to talk to may be ScottyB, good guy and site sponsor: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #8
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Any cart from CC or EZG will likely be a good base as they have some of the most well developed aftermarket in the industry. That is where you are going to find the parts you need to get to 50MPH. How much it costs is up to you and how much personal safety and reliability you are willing to risk.

Mathematically, to hit 50MPH you will need a 23" tire and 8:1 gearing. As others have pointed out, big speed is dangerous. Those big tires with big sidewalls will require a big lift which will make it an unstable ride. They are also heavier (more unsprung weight) which will increase stopping distances even more. I wouldn't go near a cart like this without disc brakes. Seat belts and a roll bar would make me feel better still.

With a long enough, straight, flat road, even the stock motor can probably reach that speed once the controller limits are defeated. However, you might only make that run a couple times before you cook some wires or worse. Stock carts were not designed to make long full throttle runs like that so upgraded cables are a must. It will take lots of volts, too, so a freshly charged and relatively new FLA pack is in order. If you have the budget, Lithium will help in two ways. First, it can be configured with higher voltage (within the limits of the controller) but also it is over 300lbs lighter than a FLA pack. That is like adding 2HP to a stock motor. It goes without saying that a 500A controller will make your goal a lot easier and your runways a lot shorter.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I got nothing for a 50 mph golf cart. What it comes down to is this.
I want to leave my money to my kids not yours.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I got nothing for a 50 mph golf cart. What it comes down to is this.
I want to leave my money to my kids not yours.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts