lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Default 2009 YDRE Brake not holding - Pedal Replacement?

I have a 2009 YDRE/G29 and my brake is not holding on a hill. If I press on top left of the brake it locks one click but that is not enough to hold it. If I press harder, it clicks again, but slips back to just one click. Looking closely at it, I thought that the jagged blade that catches was worn but it looks more like the bar that the blade locks against might be worn and that bar is riveted down. The adjusting nut for the brakes is very rusted and even after PB Blaster or WD40 , it will not turn to allow me to adjust the brakes tighter. I'm thinking of replacing the brake cable but I wondered if I should replace the pedal assembly as well since it's not locking. I'm also not sure what is involved in replacing the pedal assembly. I assume there is no accelerator cable but just the switch. Any advice on what to do to get better hold on the hills. The brake does hold me fine if I press it hard, It just does not lock down hard enough that I can remove my foot on steep hill.
cclontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2009 YDRE Brake not holding - Pedal Replacement?

I realize that the pedal is the main problem, but possibly also your brake shoes are worn to the point where one click doesn't hold anymore. Check those before you adjust the cables. But yes I agree you may need a pedal assembly or parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentofdestiny View Post
I realize that the pedal is the main problem, but possibly also your brake shoes are worn to the point where one click doesn't hold anymore. Check those before you adjust the cables. But yes I agree you may need a pedal assembly or parts.

The YDRE has wet brakes so I can't check the shoes. They do hold on a hill if my foot is on the pedal.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM   #4
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclontz View Post
The YDRE has wet brakes so I can't check the shoes. They do hold on a hill if my foot is on the pedal.

I didn't realize. I googled "wet brake" and ugh that is a crappy setup.

trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It's a crappy setup when it's time to replace them. It is a very nice working setup when in good shape. I would be working to get that cable adjuster freed up. Then adjust till the pedal has 1.75 inches of free travel. BTW, Yamaha had a big "closeout sale" on those pedals last year, so I bet they are no longer available.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
It's a crappy setup when it's time to replace them. It is a very nice working setup when in good shape. I would be working to get that cable adjuster freed up. Then adjust till the pedal has 1.75 inches of free travel. BTW, Yamaha had a big "closeout sale" on those pedals last year, so I bet they are no longer available.
Thanks. I found one on ebay. Not sure if there are bad knock-offs out there or if all should be ok.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclontz View Post
Thanks. I found one on ebay. Not sure if there are bad knock-offs out there or if all should be ok.
I had a 2011 with the early style assembly like you have (Yamaha redesigned to new style in 2012). The problem was with the accelerator pedal bolt (lots of corrosion from wet, fertilized grass on the golf courses) where you adjust pedal for the throttle sensor. This bolt was rusted and lots of rust release on the bolt, but it and the assembly broke. I had my Yamaha dealer purchase a new one which came with the pedal switch and throttle sensor. However, the 'new' assy had an adjustable throttle sensor (slotted mounting holes) instead of the pedal adjustment on the shaft with the fixed sensor AND the 'new' one did not mate up to fit the cable plug of the old harness. NOR would the 'old' throttle sensor fit the 'new' pedal shaft. AND yhere is no adapter cable from Yamaha between the two.

I managed to make up a good connection to the sensor and all is working, but what a pain. Yamaha couldn't even supply me with part numbers for the plug used in the new style wiring harness.

PITA story and I hope you do not end up with same issue.

Cgtech may comment on this if he has experienced it before.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just looked one on up on eBay for $195 and it is the cast frame. If that is the one coming to you, you should be good to go. Wish I had chosen that way, but my dealer gives parts to me at his cost. So I went that way without checking elsewhere and got the new assembly and a surprise.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
cclontz
Not Yet Wild

This is the one I am looking at.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-...-/112186544417
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

You don't need the whole pedal assembly. Who ever was adjusting the brakes did it wrong and it wore that riveted piece out. Drill the rivets and put a new piece in, its easy really. Yes you have to make the piece. Sure beats a new pedal for just that piece. Id buy a new brake cable as the one you have is more than likely all stretched out due to bad mechanics. Rule of thumb, don't adjust the cable.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, g29, pedal, ydre
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha