lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Island Cart

Hi Guys, I need a little advice here and have used the forum for help before and received great suggestions.
At the end of 2017 I bought a 4" economy lift kit from Steeleng and installed it on our lifted cart (2000 Gas EZGO) on an island where we keep our cart. Never having done this before and pretty naive I said how bad could it be??
The Cart has a dead spot in the middle that makes it hard to control.
I have replaced the steering rack completely as well as the tie rods. Regreased the spindles and carefully tightened them down. I have done toe-in as well as checking Camber and Caster everything that I could find on this forum to correct the issue.
Because this isn't at my house and on an island all this took awhile into 2018.
I contacted Steeleng for advice. They almost always picked up the phone and were happy to try to help. I was directed to Wayne and had several conversations (8-9) and emails (2-3) regarding this "Island Cart" as he said that he had never seen this issue before. I sent several pictures and a video showing the flexibility of the front risers and he said he would take this to whomever and get back to me. That was the last contact I had with them.
I did ask if I could return the kit for credit and purchase a drop axle kit from them but he wouldn't do that and just help me try to solve the problem.
I didn't think returning for credit was asking for too much, after all I trusted them enough to purchase another product from them? a little disappointing.
Anyway I think that maybe I should look elsewhere for a kit unless they are going to work with me.
I have good mechanical experience but don't really know the differences between all the kits out there so I am asking for advice as to what I should buy to replace the economy kit I have.
People here talk pretty well about Jakes and RHOX looks decent. Spindle lifts give a better ride as opposed to a drop axle? IDK.
I would like to keep it under $300 or so just as long as I can finally relax and drive this thing.
Thanks for reading this through to the end and for any advice.
thinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Island Cart

Steeling makes great stuff. I've had several kits from them and never had a problem.

Stay away from Jake's. They used to make great kits but the last couple years theyr quality and customer service has suffered.

I would go with a double A arm lift. This will give you adjustability to set the alignment correctly.

As for returning the kit for credit, you really have to put yourself in their shoes. If you had just bought the kit a few months ago, that's one thing. But jts been nearly 2 years since you purchased the kit. I probably wouldnt want to take it back either.

Just my .02
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Are you on south bass, kelleys, or middle bass? maybe have a cart guy on one of the islands see if he can at least diagnose the issue so you can possible get the new part that you need from steeleng. Pretty sure there is a cart guy on south bass (not a rental place, like an actual repair shop) but I'm not as versed with kelleys or MB. Is the 4" a spindle or a arm lift? My a arm from steeleng has been great, but it is a 6."

I didnt find many 4" options when I did my lift kit so I settled with a 6." its probably more than I needed but I can't complain with how it is for $220
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I do agree with you on the timing, it has been a while since I bought it.
But if this was some sort of anomaly as he had told me then a return might have been in order?
Anyway I might consider their drop axle kit. No way to adjust any of the angles on any of these things is there?
Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
rib33024

Is this the lift your talking about that you ordered ?

What size tires do you have on the cart?

https://www.steelenggolfcart.com/col...ck-1994-2001-5

Do you have some pics you can show us of the problem? And that video
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The cart is on Kelleys Island, don’t know of anyone there that works on carts or not, probably is someone.
Don’t think I’m going to try to salvage this as it is a inexpensive block kit. Live and learn you know.
Going to just go with a better system overall.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Is this the lift your talking about that you ordered ?

What size tires do you have on the cart?

https://www.steelenggolfcart.com/col...ck-1994-2001-5
Yes that’s it.
23x10.5-12
Old 07-18-2019, 08:50 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinfire View Post
I do agree with you on the timing, it has been a while since I bought it.
But if this was some sort of anomaly as he had told me then a return might have been in order?
Anyway I might consider their drop axle kit. No way to adjust any of the angles on any of these things is there?
I would really recommend a double a-arm kit. They're quite a bit more than the drop axle or block kits, but that's the only way you're gong to be able to have full adjust ability without buying a long travel kit (Which is big bucks!)

Otherwise, the drop axle 4" is a good way. I also have to wonder if the front axle from a ST350 workhorse would work in a TXT. They had a 4" drop axle from the factory.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I’m okay with a 6” drop. Not too old to climb in yet...
Now just which one?
Old 07-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I would really recommend a double a-arm kit. They're quite a bit more than the drop axle or block kits, but that's the only way you're gong to be able to have full adjust ability without buying a long travel kit (Which is big bucks!)

Otherwise, the drop axle 4" is a good way. I also have to wonder if the front axle from a ST350 workhorse would work in a TXT. They had a 4" drop axle from the factory.
What is this double a-arm lift for an ezgo?
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO