lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
clubcar02iq
Not Yet Wild

Default Thermal Shutdown? Bad motor?

My 2002 IQ keeps going into thermal shutdown after about 20 minutes or 3 miles driving 3-5 mph. The controller is getting hot and shutting down and the motor is 208F - 270F when it does. It had been doing this previously and I thought it was the controller. I had the controller repaired and upgraded to 400amps, hoping that would fix it. Before the controller repair, the motor would get to around 200F and the controller would shut down after about 20 minutes.

I’m beginning to think my motor was bad, it especially is now because I could smell what I believe was the motor starting to cook.

Could my controller be fine and something wrong with my motor was causing excessive heat that was going back to the controller and causing it to shutdown this whole time? I try to dial my speed back so that pack voltage is 47.5+v while cruising.

I believe all an electric cart needs to run (basic):
*batteries (half check- prob need new ones in another year)
*controller (gets hot and shutdown)
*motor (been getting hot for a while)
*solenoid (check- 200amp)
*cables (check- all new #2)

2002 IQ.
*stock motor
*1510 Curtis repaired/upgraded to 400amps
*20 inch tires
*200amp solenoid
*#2 cables all
*white cable on motor hotter than green, not too hot you can’t hold it for awhile
*2016 batteries 50.9 after sitting 24hrs and 45-48v under load on flat ground depending on weight and speed. (i was having problems in 2015 before new batteries)

I’m thinking it’s time to look for a new upgrade purpose-built motor.

Thanks fellas.
clubcar02iq is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Thermal Shutdown? Bad motor?

Quote:
after about 20 minutes or 3 miles driving 3-5 mph.
Low speed operation means VERY high amp draw, which causes excessive heat buildup in the motor and controller. The way to fix that is to go faster.

You can get a lower speed motor, higher torque, that will handle lower speed better, but the controller will still have the same problem.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
clubcar02iq
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Thermal Shutdown? Bad motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Low speed operation means VERY high amp draw, which causes excessive heat buildup in the motor and controller. The way to fix that is to go faster.

You can get a lower speed motor, higher torque, that will handle lower speed better, but the controller will still have the same problem.
I appreciate your response!
After my research, I was thinking that I need to look for a higher torque motor since most of my driving is slow.

I just need to figure out the best controller setup for my application. Maybe adding thermal paste to mine and a fan or looking at aftermarket like alltrax with the fan or Navitas.
clubcar02iq is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car