lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Reverse Engineering a Home Built Cart

Evening Folks!

A while back i picked up a project cart for putting around the garden/woods and this forum has been a huge help so far, so thank for that!

I finally completed refreshing the motor (420cc predator, new gaskets, valve springs, governor removal and a very much needed oil flush) and started to work on getting the suspension taken care of.

This is where some problems arise:
1. i don't even know what model cart this is, based on photos im GUESSING its a Yamaha G2.
2. The lift job looks like a one off. There are brand name parts here and there from companies like vegas carts, but uhhh this front end job doesnt look like anything ive seen.
3. No amount of playing with the tie rods got the tire straight. I dont mean a little lean to em, i mean one tire faces straight, the other would be slightly turned out.

So i did what any sane person would do and immediately took it for a romp in the woods.

Everything went well for a while until i maybe offroaded a bit too hard and the tires bent outwards really bad, like cant drive straight if both tires are on the ground bad. Like left tire turning left, right tire turning right bad.

Here are some pictures of the cart itself, the ....unique lift kit and the
damage

https://imgur.com/a/VEGnbmm

Now that I've sufficiently droned on long enough so bore anyone still reading to death, here's my help request.

Given i didn't build this, or know what the stock config looked like im not sure where to go from here. I've spent some time looking at g2 lift kits for the front end, but so much has changed on mine im worried there will be to many parts the kits rely on missing.

I'm trying to think of ways to sure up the existing setup, as the current way the tie tods connect dont look like they would hold up to a gravel driveway let alone a wood trail.

If you've made it this far you're a champ, even if you quickly close this tab like i would!
C3rb3ru5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: Reverse Engineering a Home Built Cart

You really gotta re-engineer that right side steering linkage. I've never seen something like that. I dunno who thought that type of setup would even come close to working.

Get rid of that GIANT "L" hook up....bracket kind of thing and extend the tie-rod so it connects directly.

And BTW....that's about the "home-made" lift kit of the year! Sort of like the "ugliest dog of the year" contest.

But then again......if you can get it to reliably work......
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:37 PM   #3
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
You really gotta re-engineer that right side steering linkage. I've never seen something like that. I dunno who thought that type of setup would even come close to working.

Get rid of that GIANT "L" hook up....bracket kind of thing and extend the tie-rod so it connects directly.

And BTW....that's about the "home-made" lift kit of the year! Sort of like the "ugliest dog of the year" contest.

But then again......if you can get it to reliably work......

Thanks for the feedback DaveTM. I attached a photo to make sure I'm understanding the suggestion correctly. Both sides are setup the same way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg idea.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'll add that "L" bracket wasn't that bent before I took it out that's the result. both bent outwards.

I'll try connecting the tierod to the lower bracket directly, might need a longer rod.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The problem is you/they added lift between the spindle arm and tierod, that puts waaay to much leverage on the thin spindle arms.
Take off the C channel under the tierod and incorporate your lift between the spindle itself and the spindle arm.
There are two bolts holding those two parts together.
Not commenting on the rest of it but keep in mind people do get seriously hurt from poor design, just because someone did it doesn't make it right.....
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Crash. To clarify I had no part In this 🤣 I would have just bought a kit to lift it. When I bought it over the winter I didn't know there was such a user base of lifted carts, I just wanted a cheap utv.

I'm still getting the terminology down, in the attached image I believe the part marked in red is the spindle, but I'm not sure if the arm is the A bracket or the part that is connected to the C lift.

Can you recommend a part I should install to get the proper leverage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210505-165817_Gallery.jpg (139.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Man, so much to say here. I'm not sure re-engineering this setup is the right thing if you don't have any experience with steering and suspension fabrication. So many things can go wrong and lead to a deadly crash.

The first issue I would like to address is the fact that this is a single a arm (aka swing arm) design. This suspension is not ideal for off road and is really only designed to safely allow 2-3 inches of travel before you will get severe bump steer. Lifting this makes it even worse because of the leverage applied.

The next thing is the outer tie rod end locations are not even close to lining up correctly. That's what's causing the severe change in toe as the suspension moves, also called bump steer.

I assume those shocks are from an atv. Probably adding to the problem because they might be allowing too much travel, which will change the toe and make it steer the wrong way.

If it were me, I'd remove this lift and start over using the original mounts. If you want a lift, go with a Jake's or All Sports 6" kit and use the original cart shocks. It will be much more stable than what you have. You can likely find all the parts from a member here.

I wouldn't drive that cart to the mailbox. Too dangerous.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Man, so much to say here. I'm not sure re-engineering this setup is the right thing if you don't have any experience with steering and suspension fabrication. So many things can go wrong and lead to a deadly crash.
I quote the conclusion of Slonomo's post as that pretty much sums it up.

Even the spindle arms are just bolted on. Those should be welded.

Way to many things in this backyard design that can (and as you have shown) will go wrong.

Get a lift kit designed to correctly handle the engineering of steering.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

The yellow is the spindle arm, the red is the spindle and the blue is the A arm.
I did read that you acquired it this way and are concerned about it as you should be.
You have a great base cart to start with. I agree with everyone, pull that stuff off and using the utmost respect for the previous builder/owner, (Abdul the Butcher), throw that chit in the scrap bin.

You will be so surprised at the difference of ride quality.

Also, The Yamaha G2 has an aluminum with black stripe trim piece going up and across the front cowl, the G9 has a solid rubber trim piece.
You have a G9
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
C3rb3ru5
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Bump Steer, yup that explains my biggest issue with it so far.

Funny you mention going to the mailbox, as that was the main reason for the purchase. I've got a decent hike up a dirt road to get to mine. But, when chugging up the hill the steering would be quite erratic. jerking one way or the next, at least i know why now.

Yup, i do have rubber trim over the top, at least i know what i have now! good news or not this forum sure is helpful.

I guess my next step is figuring out if/what stock parts im missing that are needed to get a proper kit working in the font. I should probably take a closer look in the back to make sure its ok, buts its seemed pretty stable back there.

In the attached photo i know the 2 highlighted areas need to go. Does anyone know the following:

1. Height of the stock shocks so i can replace these?
2. I know the diamond plate extension needs to go. did the A arms originally bolt directly up to where the winch mount is now?
3. Will i be able to get a stable offroad front end with this model, or due to the way these carts are made is that not a good idea? I'm not trying to jump it, just be able to drive dirt trail through the woods around my property.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift.jpg (123.4 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha